Fly Fusion Forums

Trouble Getting Hookups

yonderin

Have spent a couple days on a local lake and having big issues getting a good hookset. Lots of strikes but no matter what I do, missing a lot of fish. I've been suspending under an indicator.

I have;

a. tried different timing, from immediate to a very long "God save the Queen";

b. tried varying the depth I'm suspended thinking to shorten the line and resulting reaction time;

c. focused on keeping as short and straight a line to the indicator as possible;

d. tried raising my rod tip slowly, quickly, sideways and strip setting;

e. confirmed the sharpness of my hooks; and

f. bent the hook tip a bit sideways.

Wasn't too surprised when using leech patterns but scuds and nymphs are the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks but I'm not sure size of fish was all I had for a problem. Indicator was taken well under a few times and I felt good weight for a second on some of my sets. Maybe just bad mojo those days.

Did you get any scales on your hooks? Often the fish will cruise around checking out the fly, they may bump the the leader and it looks like a bite but actually isn't. There are days when I accidentally snag fish while indicator fishing. If you inch your line in slowly it may help with hook up success

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody else suggested I was snagging last second refusals on a fin. Never specifically looked for or noticed scales on the fly. No doubt there was some of that but 40-50 fish over 4 days on two different lakes? Beginning to think a lot of it is the gods are displeased with me.

Thanks for the suggestion about inching my line in. Will have to keep that one in mind next time I hit a lake.

I experienced that as well, the indicator went under on every cast! but no hook ups.

I remedied it by exactly doing what Monger suggested, I moved or inched the indicator slowly and started to hook up.

The fish might thought the Chironomid was getting away and hit it harder.