Fly Fusion Forums

Has Anyone Tried A Watermaster Kodiak Or Grizzly?

I am trying to determine if it would be better to purchase a pontoon boat or a Watermaster for floating the Bow. I have not seen anyone use a Watermaster yet. They are also much more expensive than a pontoon. However, the interwebs resoundingly say the Waterwaster is the best fly fishing watercraft.

Once again, FFC. Do you have any insight?

I guess you need to ask yourself whether you like being down low like in a tube, or up a bit higher like in a 'toon. I prefer the latter. Plus the price point of the Watermaster is prohibitive IMHO. Great for high mtn lakes, but again wayyyy to $$

P

watermasters are terrible, save your cash buy a sheet of plywood for your seat and a surveyor raft from canadian tire..... it's equivalent to a water master and $1500 less.

Watermasters have no rocker which makes the boats plow through the water not cut through it. There are way better options out there, Watermasters were rad 10 years ago, they haven't stayed with the market

• Like 4

I'd go with the pontoon. Or have a look at dave scaddens assault x. Heck theres even some good one man boats from Alpacka Raft if back country is your thing.

The interwebs just say they're the best because everyone on social media with any amount of followers is getting one for free. They plow water (no rocker), and are difficult to row (again, plow water, no rocker).

The guys on the washington fly forum are pretty well in favour of scadden over the water master. There is multiple threads on the forum about the advantages and disadvantages of the scadden vs the watermaster. I myself own a scadden, and honestly the only thing i could think that i'd want from the water master is its cargo deck, but thats a tough trade off because sitting on plywood all day bites the big one. Not to mention with the watermaster having no rocker, pontoons and other frameless boats just row circles around them. My assault x only weighs 18lbs, pretty well half of the watermaster.

Here is a link to one of the threads that compare the two boats. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/dave-scadden-vs-watermaster.87431/

All of that said, dave is a business man and is willing to haggle, I got my boat for about half of what water master wanted for theirs. Not to mention their prices on accessories are a little excessive. Especially their bogus shipping rate to Canada. When i asked about getting some accessories, their response was "We'll just bring them to the show in january for you, and save you the shipping" thats only 9 months away....

If you're just looking at the bow, i would recommend something like scaddens boats, or an outcast model, the fishcat scout is well priced and so is the stealh pro, and the outcast commander is just plain SWEET. The kicker behind the outcast models is you're not paying the ridiculous exchange rates from either watermaster or scadden. They're 500 dollars or more less expensive and easy to get through retailers. I myself am now looking at a 2-3 man raft series and debating going the with scaddens dragonfly assault XT or the Pac 1300 from outcast.

• Like 3

Guest ArtVandelay

I'm putting mine up for sale soon. Ignore everyone that's responded so far ;)

Seriously though I'm selling my Grizzly and I'll post an ad here soon.

They dont have to update their product or lower their costs when April Vokey, OSF, Humble, Faceless and everyone with thousands of followers advertises them every chance they get. Brilliant marketing. Why haven't the other companies sold out like that? It might be because, they don't need to.

However if you could get one used for about half of what they want new, I think a guy could justify one. However they're majorly overpriced.

• Like 1

Also most people don't want to admit they screwed up if they dropped $2k on a boat. As well, most folks have no tried more then one.

I have a scadden xx, and like it, but it's a bit big for my common use. Was nice for two people on the Bulkley last fall

Well, I'm on the other side of the coin. I have 2 watermaster's (for the wife and I) and love them. No, I didn't get them because the cool kids on the google machine had them, and no, I didn't get them for free either. I also didn't pay full price and probably wouldn't, both of mine were lightly used demo models from dealers in BC and still going strong. As for quality I also have an NRS raft with frame and the watermaster's are ever bit it's equal. I originally had pontoon boats but sold them after I got the first watermaster. They are fine for drifting rivers but like others have said not great (slow) on stillwaters. I feel much more secure in whitewater than I ever did on my pontoons, I love all the storage and the fact my dogs can come along with us, and I especially love how much lighter they are and more compact they pack up. Not a big deal if you are only going to float the Bow, but it's awesome being able to hike them in and float sections on other rivers where drift boats and pontoons can't go, or just short floats through productive stretches that all the waves of other boats have either not passed through yet or have floated through hours before. If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate to take a look at ArtVandelay's boat when he posts it up.

• Like 2