Fly Fusion Forums

Introducing Myself And Looking For Fishing Info

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum this morning and wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been fly fishing for only 2 years so my experience and skills are very limited and hoped to learn from the members. Coming from Southern California, I have some questions about fishing in and around Calgary in late April.

I will be staying at one of the hotels by the airport and I might be able to bring a fly rod and give your famous Bow river a try in the evening or early morning for a couple of hours. Is there any possibility to catch a fish around that time of the year, where to go within the city limit, and tips for fishing the bow for the first time.

thank you for reading this.

B

If you have a limited time I would recommend hiring a guide for the day.The Bow river is amazing river cause it takes serious skill to fish it right and even once you think you have mastered the bow, she can humble you in a hurry.

The southern part of the city is your best bet!

JT

Thank you for the reply JT.

I will entertain hiring a guide next time when the I have the whole day to fish.

I probably will bring the 6 wt superfine touch with me and try the southern part of the city.

Thank you for the reply JT.

I will entertain hiring a guide next time when the I have the whole day to fish.

I probably will bring the 6 wt superfine touch with me and try the southern part of the city.

Comb the Bow River Reports for posts dating back to the past few April's and you should have some luck.

How is that Superfine Touch?

thanks guys,

I called the fish tales fly shop and got some tips on where to go and tried to google map them. My goal is to catch 1 Bow river trout and I would be happy.

Stonefly,

The 6wt superfine feels much stiffer than the rest of the series and has reserve power to throw bigger flies. I however will not use it for bigger bugs or size 2 streamers.

Like the rest of the series, the 6wt is pretty delicate and smooth but I don't use it often since I like the superfine touch 5wt 7'6" more.

thanks guys,

I called the fish tales fly shop and got some tips on where to go and tried to google map them. My goal is to catch 1 Bow river trout and I would be happy.

Stonefly,

The 6wt superfine feels much stiffer than the rest of the series and has reserve power to throw bigger flies. I however will not use it for bigger bugs or size 2 streamers.

Like the rest of the series, the 6wt is pretty delicate and smooth but I don't use it often since I like the superfine touch 5wt 7'6" more.

FishTales will point in you in the right direction. You'll have no problem catching a Bow River Trout. PM me if you have limited time, I'll fish with you, heck, I live right across the street from the river, only takes a couple minutes to walk there from my house!!

• Like 1

Welcome to Alberta and good luck on the Bow River. Start to review threads and info for a few other pieces of water relatively near Calgary ...

Crowsnest, Oldman, Fernie - Elk River etc.

Many good days to come.

Good luck.

Gj

• Like 1