Fly Fusion Forums

A.c.a Proposal For A 20% Increase

Guest tallieho

Guest tallieho

I was reading a article that says that a.c.a. is proposing a 20% increase in fishing & hunting licences for 2008.I personally hope that it is for all users of the resource.What are your thoughts on this???

Guest bigbadbrent

double it, 20% is nothing. We're going to be paying 28.62. A whole 5 dollar increase..ridicilous. I'd pay 50 bucks, as would most everyone, especially if its going back to the resource

As for it applying to all users don't hold your breathe even though it would be nice......rafters and the like should be licensed or at least require a permit of some sort.

As for the increase I agree with Brent that it should be more but maybe not double I'd say 50% to at least bring us more in line with our juristions. I would also like to see a separate non resident rate like all other places seems to have.

I agree that the license fees for fishing here in Alberta are low and I don't have a problem with an increase, however I think that like Flytyer said, all other recreational water users rafters, kayakers, etc., should have to pay a license fee to help protect our resources for everyone.

I do also feel that because we as anglers are putting pressure more directly on fish stocks that we should be responsible for the majority of cost of maintaining these stocks and that the fees gathered from rafters, kayakers, boaters etc should be more general maintenance of our water resources.

As I understand it, the increased funding is for ACA projects (see their website for info http://www.ab-conservation.com/ ). While the ACA projects are in my view all worthwhile and I am happy to help pay for them through my license fees, most are not likely to have any direct impact on our fishing experience. In addition to the ACA levy increase, I would like to see another $5 (or more) tacked on to hire more fishcops. Better still, in addition, increase the fees for non-resident licenses. Terry

Increasing fees is no big deal, but I find it ridiculous that in the greatest boom our Province has ever seen, that the Fish and Wildlife budget doesn't even come close to managing the resource properly. Hell, I bet their budget hasn't even returned to the level prior to Ralphies slashing. I'm willing to ante up some cash for increased fees, but I think it's high time the Province stepped up to the plate and start meeting their oblications.

Regards Mike

Increasing fees is no big deal, but I find it ridiculous that in the greatest boom our Province has ever seen, that the Fish and Wildlife budget doesn't even come close to managing the resource properly. Hell, I bet their budget hasn't even returned to the level prior to Ralphies slashing. I'm willing to ante up some cash for increased fees, but I think it's high time the Province stepped up to the plate and start meeting their oblications.

Regards Mike

HERE HERE!

OK, there is no sarcasm in this post. This is a legitimate question:

Just how good was the fishing here back in the day? I know that I have been extremely fortunate in who I have fished with, but I am able to go out by myself on multiple river systems in this province and catch fish pretty much every time with only one year of flowing water experience. You would be hard pressed to go where I am from with no knowledge of saltwater fishing and catch fish as quickly. I find the fishing here nothing short of spectacular. So while I am sure things could be better, can someone (or I am sure lots of someones) tell me how it could be managed better? And don't just give me fly fisherman perspective. There are other users to consider as well.

I have to say that in the age of ever-incresing fees/costs, I am not in favor of charging Albertans more for fishing licences. Once we open the door to increased fees, they never go back. I can hardly imagine that the fee increases would honestly be solely applied to the management of the fishery. I would favor charging non-residents a higher premium, but not even as much as BC for classified waters, as non-resident anglers add much to the economies where they come to fish and I do not believe that gouging non-residents is beneficial. Make them pay a little more, but don't scare them away.

I already pay too much for numerous things, and I think that the cost of my fishing license is fine. Only if there were a guranteed way to check on the allocation of funds from licensing and ensure that they were all going to the fisheries management would I even consider an increase to be acceptable.

Don,

I appreciate your reply & suggestion. As a member of TU I already donate to TU each year, but am willing to look at more ideas too. I am thinking of a fund raiser for TU and hopefully soon I will be able to report with more info.

Anyhow, this thread is about license increases and not TU.

Guest Sundancefisher
Glenbow,

Plunk your money down @

http://www.tucanada.org/TUC_chapter_CentralAlta.php

We'll look after it.

catch ya'

Don

I noticed immediately that oil companies footed a fair bit of the bill. Sadly that is very unlikely to continue as they are hurting. It will now fall on the government and individuals to step in.