Fly Fusion Forums

Swinging Wets

Birdo

Hey guys!! Been fly fishing now for about 5 years, have never posted on this forum, pretty much because I was a little intimidated. But anyway was wondering if anyone minded sharing some tips on swinging wets! Was trying it out this weekend just to try and learn some new methods. Not sure if I should be adding weight like a sink tip or just beads etc. Any tips would be appreciated!

X2 what RD said....much prefer tips vs. splitshot,but often as not I'll trail a wet or two behind a conehead bugger on a floating line,or swing 3 soft hackle wets with the biggest/heaviest fly in descending order of size,ie; a #10-12 bead head,trailed by a 14-16,trailed by an 18.

Yep well said, I often fish tandems, but use 2 to 3 extremely small split shots (1/4 the size of a bb) to get a bit of depth, easy to cast. I find long 12 ft leaders work well and although I swing across and down that's not my favorite way (harder to control strikes that are directly below you). I like to cast upstream like a dry fly and gather line as to keep it tight as the fly drifts down toward me, usually have nice corner mouth hook sets that way. As for flies...

wets.jpg

• Like 4

Ideally you want to get a bit of depth and slowly lift or rise you fly through the water column. Classically is is called the the Leisenring lift, named after a famous wet fly fisher. It does imitate an insect rising to the surface to hatch. Strikes are often close to the surface. Its one form of fishing emergers.

Ideally you want to get a bit of depth and slowly lift or rise you fly through the water column. Classically is is called the the Leisenring lift, named after a famous wet fly fisher. It does imitate an insect rising to the surface to hatch. Strikes are often close to the surface. Its one form of fishing emergers.

Now THAT is well said!!

....and killer gang of wets there Doc,very nice!

Yep well said, I often fish tandems, but use 2 to 3 extremely small split shots (1/4 the size of a bb) to get a bit of depth, easy to cast. I find long 12 ft leaders work well and although I swing across and down that's not my favorite way (harder to control strikes that are directly below you). I like to cast upstream like a dry fly and gather line as to keep it tight as the fly drifts down toward me, usually have nice corner mouth hook sets that way. As for flies...

wets.jpg

love these flies :)

last year I started fishing soft hackles such as the ones above. right now its whats working for me, a lot of the fish Im getting Im seeing first, with the exception of the odd surprise. 1 fly, floating line, 4x tippet swung back into the riffle and getting hammered. I still give the caddis a chance but theres been really no comparison to whats working. the lift at the end like doc said works amazing definitely give it a shot.

• Like 1

I find at this stage of the season that you can fish this method, before you start to see the bugs and definitely during the hatch. As i stated earlier, with all the caddis present its hard not to throw one on and start casting to fish. That said, I quickly change over to the soft hackle to start getting the strikes as well as seeing the fish rise. Last night was out for a ride with the family, we stopped for a break, I didn't see any fish rising, threw 3 casts 1/4 downstream, upstream mend and swing it into the bank, SMASH!!! the wife was impressed, i really don't think she believes i actually catch fish in the river. Just like the other nights, watching guys throwing caddis and not getting anything, finally went over and asked the guy what he was using, "small dries" getting any hits? "nothing, not a thing" asked him if he had any soft hackles, his response was "what do you mean" so i gave him a couple and told him how i was fishing it. Kinda hope hes a member here and posts a story about how awesome his night was after lol :) This fly is why i love august and september. The fly matters as well, its a particular fly called the Pheasant Tail soft hackle with a red thread head.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys for all the info! Big foamy, I think the fiance thinks the same of me haha. And I have some soft hackle pheasant tails tied up, but with silver wire and a silver tungsten bead head. I'll tie some with a red thread for a hot spot.

Thanks again guys for all the info! Big foamy, I think the fiance thinks the same of me haha. And I have some soft hackle pheasant tails tied up, but with silver wire and a silver tungsten bead head. I'll tie some with a red thread for a hot spot.

Blurry pic but this is the money

19a1284f-df22-4bdc-a051-bf31843f6ceb_zps

• Like 1