Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Jumping Record

Is anyone keeping a tally, if not I'll start. I think that it should be based on fish size and obviously how high. Today I had a 10" rainbow jump at least 4'. I'm not kidding! Ok the wind was blowing and may have attributed to the current record. Anyone wanting to challenge the current record?

PS: the fish hit 3'+ on the second jump.

Had a 18" cuttbow jump a foot above my head on the Highwood once, and I was standing on the bank! To get an idea on how high that is, I'm 5'7" (guess that's not that high haha).

Also, I had a 20" plus brown almost slap me in my face on the bow a few weeks ago.

Guest bigdirty

last night I watched a decent rainbow take a small low angle leap on hookup, followed by a vertical leap of 3-4'. shook loose on second jump. totally earned it. haha :)

Six and seven years ago when Summit Lake was doing well, The Bows would jump a good 4 feet as soon as you would set the hook, Craziest Jumpin Bows I ever played with....

In Cuba I hooked a smaller Tarpon right close to the boat, instantly jumped, was pretty much eye level with me as I watched the fly come out its mouth, I can still see that moment in my head clear as day, thats when my guide told me I better start strip setting harder. Its amazing how hard you have to strip set those Bucket Mouths....

Cheers... Jeff..

Had a little 13"-14" bow t'other day come 2'-3' up and 5'-6' laterally and land splot in the bank mud, skidded him back into the water and then the little bugger had the nerve to break me off.