Fly Fusion Forums

Shadow Box Flies

lethfisher

As it is nearing Xmas gift time I am thinking of tieing up some flies for a shadow box kinda thing for my dad. Do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of flies I should tie for it? I want something fairly attractive and neat looking like a stimulator pattern or a big hopper pattern like a club sandwich. I think tying a tiny BWO or an odd looking nymph might not be the best way to go.

I have looked on the net and a lot have rediculously large pike or bass patterns, also classic streamers like the ones SJW ties seem to be popular but I don't know how to tie them!

Thanks guys!

Micheal's usually has them but making yourself is better in my opinion

I haven't bought one yet, I am in Slave Lake right now so there isn't much option other than WalMart lol Hopefully I will be in Lethbridge soon to go to Micheals. Is it hard to make your own though?

I am thinking of making it for the grandparents as well, so bigger is better probably. My dad's favourite pattern is a black ant so I guess one of those can go in there.

Thanks!

I haven't bought one yet, I am in Slave Lake right now so there isn't much option other than WalMart lol Hopefully I will be in Lethbridge soon to go to Micheals. Is it hard to make your own though?

I am thinking of making it for the grandparents as well, so bigger is better probably. My dad's favourite pattern is a black ant so I guess one of those can go in there.

Thanks!

Depends if you have a knack for working with wood....Only you can answer that question for yourself

Streamers always look good framed up. You don't need to tie huge ones, but even a mickey Finn onder glass looks nice. Ikea has some good frames for flies. I've always had a hard time finding just the right box. You might want to talk to Glen (glenbow) about some of the shadow boxes he has. He has a pretty good selection and I think he even has some Devlin originals framed up somewhere.

Sweet mounts SJW those are killer

The were my first 6 attempts (one is not visable) at the whole salmon flyish thing. They turned out pretty well so I added them to gifts for my family. I came up with the plate mount idea when I discovered i was not gonna be able to find shadow boxes in time. I actually really liked the way they turned out. They were pretty well recieved but then again my family have not seen flys of Daves caliber. My only regret is that I did not have any JC...... man do I like that look.

P1010199.jpg

P1010048.jpg

Busted....... LOL actually thats my roommates room I swear..... not that i have anything against puppies

Anyhow my point was with a bit of time and work I'm sure you can make a great gift for your family.

heres a couple better pics.

Chris_sPics058.jpg

This one here was my favorite of the bunch but I never really managed to get a great pic of it.

Chris_sPics007.jpg

Yeah thanks.... I kinda still have some confusion with some of the techniques used for the floss and tinsel work as well as cheeking material ect. I may bug you with some questions some time as I have a pak or size 1 partridge of redditch bartleet traditional SF Hooks that have been haunting me all summer. No time for that kinda tying. But not now i'll quit poachin this thread

I did a couple of these for silent auction prizes, pretty easy to put together, frames from Micheals, ceramic tile cut for the back, and a peice of driftwood from the river. have also done a few with river rocks glued in a pile and the flies (mostly steelhead patterns) mounted on the rocks.

DSCF0252.sized.jpg

Colin

Ok so I had a thought ( first in a week) I was wondering does anyone know where to get cheap cork rod handles? I was thinking of doing a deep photo frame with a quarter round of cork handle in the bottom of it with a few flies stuck in it. I was thinking of doing one of these for my dad for christmas with a photo of the pond near his house where I grew up fishing.

Anyways I am pretty sure I see what you mean and if you wanted something to resemble a cork grip I would simply order one maybe slice in half length wise if frame depth is a concern.... regardless you will need a deep frame.

heres a link to the cabelas rod building selection of cork product and stuff..... I would think that something outta there might suit your needs.......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rentId=cat20431