Fly Fusion Forums

Bucket List Destination...just...wow.

I think I saw this destination a few years back at the expo or somewhere. But for an unbelievable reason I forgot about it...and then stumbled on it again today.

What blows my mind is size AND numbers. It actually sounds a little exhausting.

Definitely on the list:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/index.php/fly-fishing-travel/jurassic-lake-argentina-huge-rainbows

gonna repeat this on the other forum

Cheers,

Smitty

An all you can eat amphipoda buffet, best be gettin' your ass down there before it peaks and crashes

Haven't been any stockings for a very long time, and it's spawning limited with i believe one stream to spawn in. Think of what bullshead could do if given the same opportunity...It'll keep producing brutes as there arent 10,000,000 little turds being dumped in it every spring

Haven't been any stockings for a very long time, and it's spawning limited with i believe one stream to spawn in. Think of what bullshead could do if given the same opportunity...It'll keep producing brutes as there arent 10,000,000 little turds being dumped in it every spring

Could be but the high catch rates they're braggin' on makes me think there's a helluva lot of fish in there since "someone" introduced the rainbows and the scuds only15 yrs ago. Very cold water + excellent feed source + year round spawning = high survivability with a bejesus boatload of fish.

I like to know the age of some of those bigger fish. I'd almost bet they've 10 year olds or over.

A trip to check'er out would be a hoot though but I ain't goin' unless I win the lottery and that would mean I'd hafta start buyin' tickets

Edit; forgot No Natural Predators

Edited by Taco

• 3 weeks later...

Jurassic Lake is unbelievable!! Huge numbers of huge fish, and the advertising is in no way exaggerating it! I was down there 6 years ago and the fishing gets exhausting, my best day was 67 fish, and everyone else was experiencing the same sort of numbers. I actually tried to find flies that didn't work - small #18 chironomids didn't work, and neither did 4 inch streamers, but everything in between did.

A couple others factors that really help this fishery:

-Very low fishing pressure, the lake is surrounded by private land and the drive in is brutal (the last 40km takes nearly 4 hours in the most rugged pick up trucks I've ever seen).

-One relatively small tributary for all their spawning limits the numbers of fish in the lake.

-Location. The lodge is located right at the mouth of the tributary, so as fish all stack up before spawning. There is good fishing at other locations on the lake, but the Loop / Solid Adventures camp is in the best location.