Fly Fusion Forums

7 Or 8 Weight?

Garlicmarshmellow

I'm in the market to buy a rod and I'm torn between buying a 7 weight or 8 weight rod. It will be used for fishing mainly streamers, maybe heavy nymph setups, on the Bow and the odd bull trout safari and Pike outing. Is there that much advantaged/differences between the 2?

Thanks

Yeah, I just bought a 7wt for streamer fishing on the bow and love it so far. And I fish for bulls and pike quite a bit and yeah a 7wt may be a little to light depending on the flies your trying to chuck. I chuck some pretty big ass flies for bulls and pike and I don't think my 7wt would turn those flies over to well. And like bcube mentioned an 8wt is too much for the bow.

You may want to split the difference and get two setups depending on how much you'll be fishing. There was a guy selling his 8wt Axiom and Lamson Velocity 3.5 on kijiji cheap. That setup would be great for pike and bulls. And then look for a decent 7wt for the bow. At first I was the same trying to buy setups that would do it all and it just doesn't work.

Hope this helps out.

Cheers.

• Like 1

My suggestion is that if you already have a 6 weight, you should consider the 8 weight. no need to simply step up 1 line weight in size. if you currently use a 5 weight, go for the 7. it will work for any fishing around here. if the long range plan involves Salmon or Steelhead, I have no experience with either of them so someone else can comment on the use of an 8 weight for those two species.

murray

Great discussion everyone. This is something I have been toying around with lately too. I just recently came into a 4wt rod and also have a 6wt rod. I was sort of leaning towards the 8 for now.

As time grows the desire to pick up a 5 and 7 may arise, but for now I am leaning towards an 8wt.

I do currently have a 6wt 9'6" fast action SageXP so I find it is adequate to throw most things I use on the bow. Double streamer rigs are a little ugly and I have to duck occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

8 weight is serious overkill for the Bow and the vast majority of bull trout. You'll be fine using a 7 for pike (they don't pull hard, just need a rod to turn over big flies)

Can anyone please explain this 'overkill' concept. I hear people say it, and I believe it exists, but I do not really 'get' it.

For most fishing on the Bow, I would much rather be using an 8wt over a 4wt. For small dries, the lighter wt rod is better for short presentation (under 8m), but I have watched my friend make awesome fish-catching casts with an 8wt, a furled leader, and size 18 fly at close to15m.

For chucking big nymph junk in the wind, the 8wt is awesome. For heavy streamers (like the 1/4lb bugger), 8wt is also better. Better than my 6wt, and not even comparable to my 4 and 5 wt.

I think that I might just have a natural preference for heavier rods. I also agree that for small flies and short distances, a lighter rod has better performance. I have found that the key to using a heavier rod is having a higher quality reel.

Guest bigdirty

Can anyone please explain this 'overkill' concept. I hear people say it, and I believe it exists, but I do not really 'get' it.

ime its no fun hauling in a 12" trout on a rod that is hardly bent. find a happy place between size of flies and fish for maximum enjoyment.

Good points.

The combos of 4, 6 and 8, or 5, 7 and 9 are good ranges for almost all fishing most of us will ever do. Even just two rods...a 6 and 8-wt ... would cover 99% of what any of us do in Alberta...small creeks to big pike.

Personal preference (as noted) is a large part of this, however the rig must be adequate to handle fish as well. A 7 weight is fine for most pike, but IMHO not enough rod if you will be pike fishing where there is an opportunity to hang some 20-pound pike. In addition, I'd much prefer to to toss large pike streamers with an 8 wt than a 6 wt even if the pike were not so large.

I'd much rather toss trout streamers in a wind with a 7 or 8 wt than fight with a 5 or 6 wt.

Overkill is better than underkill for line and fly handling, plus fish care.

Clive

• Like 1

ime its no fun hauling in a 12" trout on a rod that is hardly bent. find a happy place between size of flies and fish for maximum enjoyment.

This^^^

IMO,a 6wt IS a heavy rod,more then enough for any trout that swims in AB,and plenty of oomph to buck the wind and huck weighted streamers and sink tips 50-60' and more.I routinely do all of the above with a 5wt,although admittedly I much prefer to add sink tips over casting heavily weighted streamers,which are simply a PITA to cast no matter what size rod you use.Moderately weighted conehead and dumbell flies though are no problem with the 5,add a sink tip as well and you're golden/dredging bottom.For a dedicated streamer and nymphing rod,I would say a 6wt is probably ideal for most casters.I rarely ever indi-nymph,so for a typical day on the Bow I can get away with the 5 as more of a general purpose/do it all rod,from light dries to streamers on tips,but for evening outings that I plan to only fish dries,I have 3 and 4wts.

I guess I just consider fishing trout with a 7 or 8wt similar to hunting rabbits with a 30-06 or.338Win Mag.....overkill.

I would say that the vast majority of anglers compensate for lack of casting ability, by bumping up rod weight to make up for it...If that's what you have to do fine, but after you catch a few bonefish or steelhead on a 7 or 8 weight, skipping a 18" trout along the surface back to you is not a lot of fun.

Day in and day out on the Bow, I carry a 5 weight. If i'm in my boat, i'll bring a 6 as a streamer rod and maybe a 4. I have never once wished for a 7 or 8 weight....not for the size of our fish, or what flies i'm tossing. (and i own a 7 and 8, they just aren't for trout)

• Like 2

I use an #8 rod for heavy nymphing the bow, streamers and definitely pike fishing. I also use a #4 for dry fly fishing on the bow and smaller streams. That's all I found I ever needed. The bow produces some very nice size fish and having that extra weight allows you to bring in the fish faster and chuck and duck pike flies and streamers.

Good luck.

Black Ant

• 3 months later...