Fly Fusion Forums

Rowing Effort

I've built a full size model of 17' drift boat,56" wide at the floor and a 76" beam at the oar locks.looks pretty darn big to me.This would be similar to Hyde's 16'10" model.Has anyone rowed the bigger boats?If so did you notice the extra weight/size?

I've only rowed the 15' model so was wondering if there is a lot more effort required to row the 17' models.

Rowing effort will depend far more on the amount of rocker in the design. Lots of rocker means a middle that hangs low in the water, meaning you are always rowing "uphill" in either direction. Less rocker (although it has disadvantages, such as crashing into rather than smoothly taking waves), means faster rowing...as long as the boat isn't over-loaded.

Which brings me to point 2: a longer boat should row easier because the overall draft should be less. You'll be especially happier to have the larger hull when you put in three relatively large guys. When I was in the market for my driftboat I agonized over size, and I've been continuously happy to have gotten the Clack 16 Low Profile ever since. Its overall length is 16' 10", very close to your boat. I enjoy rowing it solo, with one passenger or fully loaded.

As well, a big part of ease-of-rowing is good tracking. One can waste a lot of effort on correcting undesired course changes. I recall renting and hating a high-sided 14' Clack, which felt like an unguided cockleshell in even a moderate wind. Honestly half my energy went into trying to control the direction rather than moving it in the direction I wanted to go. A longer boat should, generally, track better, although the best tracking comes from subtleties of hull design that various manufacturers claim to have the edge in.

Well i do have a parallel spot in the floor at about 50" long, trying to keep the rocker down in the bow but with a pointed stem the sides need some cupping along the bottom to reduce the rocker.Stern rocker will be gradual then turn sharply closer to the transom similar to what Hyde has.This should keep the boat higher in the water.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1