Fly Fusion Forums

Questions For Selling Flies

I suppose so?

Bring some samples to show them,can't hurt to ask.

That said,I think you might find it a tough way to earn a buck with many shops sourcing their flies from offshore,you just can't compete with those prices or even earn minimum wage,unless maybe you have a specialty,ie;you tie premium quality steelhead,tarpon,Atlantic flies or wutever....but then in the CGY market the demand for such flies is limited.

In a nutshell,offshore sweatshops have pretty much killed the North American tying industry,you just can't compete with $0.25 flies,most anglers want more flies for less $$ and aren't willing to pay what your time is worth.

• Like 1

Yep tough to compete out there as Vagabond said, but there are still niche markets and rush needs out there. You have to be able to tie fast and consistent for the general market, be a marketer and salesmen also. In addition you need volume on hand for orders and by that I don't mean dozens but hundreds of each pattern, the business is probably different then what you think. I had a shingle up for almost 30 years but just do specialty now.

Check out the local gas stations that offer fishing gear, they may be willing to allow you to put a tray in the store. Go to the local fishing holes and give out some samples with your name and number, there is also kijiji and e-bay.

As SilverDoctor said, it is alot of work, I tie all winter to have a supply and still spend countless hours in the Spring and Summer at the bench to stay ahead of the game.

Best of luck in your endeavor!!!

Guest LegoBoogy

Ok thank you. I'll try that and if they don't want to sell my flies i'll find some other way to sell them.

I used to tie and sell flies to both stores and individuals. It is difficult to make money selling them to a store, but if you can sell them direct to customers - you can do ok. Like any business, its all math.

Ok, how would i get my name around then. For people who would want special orders for flies?

The TU tackle swap is a good place to start.

You could also look at the sponsor board and get in contact with the guiding outfits. Guides go through a lot of flies over the summer and they take advantage of the flies tied overseas, if the guides like to tweak the patterns they may want some custom tied. When the guides are in their busy season they may not have enough time to tie their own when they get off the river

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...