Fly Fusion Forums

Year Of The Brookie

I'm looking at getting some more experience fishing for Brook Trout in 2014. I managed to get a couple into the net out at Sibbald this year, but I'm looking for some additional locations within an hour and a half of Calgary. I've read recently that there are Brookies in the upper Highwood, but they are few and far between. I had some luck with leeches last year, but that was about it for my experience. Anyone have location/rig tips for hooking into some decent Brookies?

Cateract has tons of brookies at least the last time I was there which was before the flood. Not sure what the road situation is right now but it looks to be reopening with the upcoming season.

Re:tactics...good'ol wooly buggers have hooked a few thousand Brookies for me,best guess at least 2000 on black WBs alone?WB is my hands down #1 go to Brookie searcher,usually black,2nd choice olive.....often both with a black beadhead and an olive non-weighted trailing 3' behind.....hooked many dbl headers that way.

Sorry can't offer any locations.....well......more like won't?I was weened on brook trout,been chasing them 40+ years.......btw,did I mention I like Brookies.....and buggers. ;)

• Like 2

swangin' muddlers caught me a bajillon water rats

Muddlers hooked me a ton'a specks also....and EHC,various mayfly dries,buckbugs.....truth is,there aint much that greedy lil Brookies won't eat,they are opportunistic feeders,often schooled up and competing for morsels...hence the frequent doubles with the 2 bugger rig....in my limited experience of 4 decades Brookie fishn,it's relatively rare that they become selective,they are far more delicious then they are sophisticated.....but all that said,when there's no discernable hatch going,visible rises, or any time I'm exploring new waters or prospecting familiar old haunts,99% of the time I'll have a black bugger tied on.
  • Like 1

I bow to the experience, I guess I hafta run a bugger/muddler tag team and see what happens

Believe it or not for some odd reason I've seldom ever fished a bugger