Fly Fusion Forums

Fly-tying Competition...

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Guess you weren't part of flyfishalberta..

We had a flytying ladder kinda thing, Hydro ended up winning it with his beetle

It was a winner moves on, and there was something like 16 ppl that started, and first fly was dry flies, then nymphs and so on until the final, which was realism. He won himself some glasses i believe

yeah that was fun. We also did some simple 1 fly matches with themes like stonefly, caddis was one, midge was one I think, then we did a fish species everybody tied a fly and provided a reasoning as to why that fly was for said species. I remember I did pike with a prince of tides variation. I seem to remember the last 4 round one saw some stiff competition. especially between hydro, DBT..... and..... sorry I can't remember if there was a third person in the final round..... I am game anytime

No worries its likely a discussion best left alone. But are they (the contests) gonna be a go on here? If so that would be really cool. Ladystrange your tying would be just fine. I'm a major hack and I even did ok in a few rounds last winter. That and the voting is not necisarily all based on realism but also on functionality, simplicity, performance ect. Unless of course the theme is realism :D

don't worry wes I think I got bumped out the next round.... and if I remember you had a good tie and a bad pic. Anyhow it was a short lived victory. I actually wish we had pics of all the flies from those contests.

Still got my october caddis pupa and my greendrake cripple

FatAssBrickBackOctoberCaddis.jpg

cripple.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
nevermind...i guess i'm not doing it this year, FFC is...sorry guys...

What you mean, i think you should keep running it, even if ffc is doing it, you did really well last year

Still got my october caddis pupa and my greendrake cripple

Lone, that cripple was awesome.

If I was to do it again, I would want it to be anonymous. I think people could still tell one tyer from another by the pictures they take, so I don't know how much a difference anonymous would make, but I still like that idea.

I feel like I kinda shot my load on that competition. I don't know if I could do it again. I'm proud of those flies, so if no one minds, I'd like to show them off on this forum.

Nymph

Hydropsyche3.jpg

Dry

PHMayfly.jpg

Streamer

PinkLightening4.jpg

Realistic

Beetle-best1.jpg

LOL yeah those flys were winners fer sure...... I'm sure you'll come up with some more good ones when put on the spot ;)

Yeah and I gotta say DBT did a hell of a job last year. Its weird all winter I was lookin forward to the fishing and all summer I have been looking forward to the tying comps.......