Fly Fusion Forums

In-River Future Flood Mitigation Actives....

CDone,

as I understand it that 700 meter reach (semantics) below diamond cove and most all other projects will have some provisions for provincial and federal "compensation" in the near future- (some will fall through the regulatory cracks).

The Province is unrolling what they are calling the "FISHES" program which will allow for $10 million of habitat restoration work to be completed in the next while (no formal time lines set as of yet). I am not aware of any specific plans on how this money will be spent, but there is little benefit if the projects are simply eye candy (ie sticking willows into a rip rapped rock wall with no long term monitoring or efforts to maintain these plants- check out the new work along the stampede grounds, east of Mcleod Trail north).

Additionally the province also announced last week that there would be an additional $21 million for "soft engineering" projects ($7 million for each of three years). These could be concepts including live crib walls or other natural/living designs, but we will see how these get designed as the devil is often in the details; and they only tend to work when there is some followup and long term plan in place to water and manage people movements in these areas. The crib wall at Southland Dog Park is a good example of how these structures function properly to enhance functionality and withstand flood events (the rip rap in that location was mostly blown out, but the crib wall still functions).

Also there will be Federal compensation dollars from DFO in the future available following the projects underway. The limitation is that federal compensation projects often have caveats included which can limit the usefulness of those dollars for on the ground projects, but maybe that can be relaxed to help engage people through education and awareness. Building habitat is great, but building functionality and resiliency is much better.

Personally I would like to see some of these dollars going towards making a serious attempt to buy out more people residing in the floodplain, this is the only real way to avoid the next flood!

• Like 1

They'll stick willow stakes on it, which the beavers will all eat. That bank sucked anyway, mucky and not really fishy until well downstream..

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Documents/Water-Documents/Diamond_Cove_Community_Presentation_2014.pdf

at least trout like riprap...

Brent, yes it may have sucked but its a fairly visible stretch of river, what about the areas less visible and more productive i.e. Llama Farm?

Thanks troutfriend, at least there is talk about riparian restoration, that's a start. And I do agree that a lot of these funds should/could be used to buy out residents on the flood plains.

Colin

There is talk about restoration project, lets hope there is some follow through with productive results.

Note: The provinces recently announced $21 million for "non-structural restoration" solutions discussed at the April 29th symposium, comes from the total bill earmarked at $625 million for all restoration projects. (3.3%)

slide-68-638.jpg?cb=1399050630

April 29th flood symposium presentation

There is a large rip rap project ongoing at the water ski park, Many willows are being planted in the design, but it appears to get them there they drove over many more with heavy equipment. Many of the other announced hardened protection options also will get this type of treatment. Hopefully there is an initiatives and an adequate budgets to maintain and water these new plantings for the next year or two until they become established, or there benefit will be limited.

Note: I stated above that the province has not rejected the Priddis Creek by-pass channel, this was an error on my part as it appears after re-watching the symposium this weekend that they have indeed taken this concept off the table.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

The City of Calgary's feasibility report on the 58th ST tunnel comes out officially tomorrow!

Take a look at that report, then read this article...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303851804579558370315425370

When are we going to revisit the radically less expensive and permanent solution of buy outs? Yes, there is a larger social cost for those who live in the floodplain and may need to be moved, but the economic cost and the risk and allowing those residence to continue to reside in the floodplain is carried by all Canadians. We are not going to move the downtown core, and nor am i advocating for that, but we need to take steps to allow the river to function naturally to dissipate its own energy by reclaiming its natural floodplain. The options on the table are an attempt to dissipate flows to reduce flooding and avoid damage and loss of life; but in reality they are shifting the risk and would be impacting ecosystems that we love, cherish and value.

Please take the time to read about the proposals (http://www.alberta.ca/Flood-symposium.cfm) and understand their impacts. Also understand that the attached proposed budgets only speculate on the cost of the structures installation, not the associated costs of moving of highways and new bridges (all projects except the tunnel require highways and bridges to be re routed), moving of people or purchasing land (how much do you think the land in Springbank is worth?), park infrastructure in k- country (this would create a reservoir from McLean Creek to beyond Station Flats), environmental costs, etc etc...

If you feel passionately about this I would encourage you to take time to read (to be effective there is a requirement to fully understand the proposals) and make your concerns heard to government officials, because you can rest assure that those in Bragg Creek and along the lower Elbow voices are well heard.

• 7 months later...

Check out the petition for the stop of the Springbank dam.

Still don't understand why tax payers are flipping the bill for flood migration. This should be a matter with the owners and their insurance company.

https://www.change.org/p/government-of-alberta-and-minister-of-environment-and-sustainable-resource-development-stop-the-springbank-dam-in-calgary-alberta?after_sign_exp=member_sponsored_upsells#share

http://www.dontdamnspringbank.org/