Fly Fusion Forums

Sending Sage Flyrod In For Repair

northfork

A) shipping is done via registered mail, and sending you a tip is goin to be a 2.25' foot tube. Not $10 shipping, I assure you.

B ) time. They have to match the tip section to the piece that you broke to ensure it fits. If it doesnt, they will re-roll you a new section. Graphite isn't free, neither is time.

C) handling. Someone has to take the time to bring the rod in, get it dealt with, keep organized, and send it back without screwing up. People aren't free.

You're getting a new piece for $60... Seems better then $400 for a new one..

You guys make good points. Absolutely it is a good price.I was just curious as to what the cost was, it doesn't show anything except:

Rod Repair...........$50

Shipping...............$10

Whilst reading your post, bcube, I agree. Shipping will be more, that quote probably assumes I live in the main 48.

Last year I broke my z axis is 3 places (pontoon... my fault... whoops). They ended up having to roll me a whole new blank because they didn't have any old stock. I sent it in over the winter and it took a few months to get it back. I thought $60 was pretty good. It makes me wonder how long the manufacturers will keep this up...

Yup, fish tales is the way to go. I snapped my buddies Sage rod on Aug 13th and they called me back to say the new rod tip was in on Sept 18th! I'm not sure if it was $50 or $55 as I bought some flies etc as well. Oh and it was a disconrinued Sage FLi which is about 5 yrs old and they still carry the tip.

You can save shipping cost if you send the just the last 6" of the butt end of the broken tip so they can match the ferrule size. Ask them in advance first to see if that's okay.

That's what I did, broke off the last few inches put it in an envelope and cheaped out on the registered mail cost me two bucks.

It seems only yesterday $25 would get you half a two piece shipped on a life time warranty. Times have changed, 60 bucks for a usable quality rod isn't bad. I think the prevalence of 4 piece rods has less to do with ease of packing for fishers

and more to do with keeping warranty replacement costs down. For rods I plan to use for awhile I have been buying an extra tip section as it seems to be the one I break most, saves shipping costs and I get to keep using the rod.

I am a fan of Sage and have several rods, however I just got an old TFO rod fixed for free because they felt it was a flaw in the rod construction itself (reel seat came loose)... Thier normal fee is 35 i believe.

I was impressed.