Fly Fusion Forums

Cracks In Sa Gpx Line

RedBeard

Hey Pros, hah... I have a question regarding the the Mastery Series GPX 6w Floating fly line from SA. I purchased this line in the end of September of last year. Since then, I have fished on the Bow River about 15 times, and stillwater about 3 times. My GPX line has completely degraded and is very cracked and falling apart. I feel like I've taken care of my line, cleaned it, and it is still degrading.. Is this common for GPX lines? Or does this seem to be a quicker degradation than normal?

Thanks for the feedback
Steve

Some lines do this, especially floating lines. I just replaced my degraded, cracked line. I knew it was done when I tried to super glue a lot of the cracks. It held the line for a sizable Stillwater rainbow, but it made casting like a stiff cable. Just replace it and forget about line in that condition. Too much hassle to deal with.

sounds about right, cracking is common on both flowing/still water fishing. Not just SA, but all other brands, pretty much tried most of them. I often replace 2 lines per year. Picked up a sharkskin this year for stillwater, will tell how durable compares to others by the end of year.

btw, if it cracked on the loop, just cut it off and whip finish a new loop.

• Like 1

sounds about right, cracking is common on both flowing/still water fishing. Not just SA, but all other brands, pretty much tried most of them. I often replace 2 lines per year. Picked up a sharkskin this year for stillwater, will tell how durable compares to others by the end of year.

btw, if it cracked on the loop, just cut it off and whip finish a new loop.

I think Eric is on the right track that you just wore it out, BUT it does seam really quick. Like Eric, I replace a few lines during a season. I've found the lines degrade faster if the line is commonly cast via single hand spey for some reason.

By the sound of it you have a lemon.... Not saying you are, but if the line hits rocks or touches the ground on your back cast....then yeah I can see it. If that's the case then just cut the tip and weld a new loop. That can be done with a heat gun and clear shrink tubing.

I've welded two new loops to it now, but most of the damage is 10ft into the line... Flyfisher has a point!

what did you clean it with?

I clean it with a luke warm water, and a light dish detergent. Just a quick dip and rinse.

I think Eric is on the right track that you just wore it out, BUT it does seam really quick. Like Eric, I replace a few lines during a season. I've found the lines degrade faster if the line is commonly cast via single hand spey for some reason.

I sent SA an email and they said the wear does sound quick. They said send it back to them with a copy of the email and they'll take care of it for me!

Nothing will where out a line faster than stripping line off the reel by pulling it down and against the reel cage.

That I do quite a bit... Is there a simple technique change to fix this?

That I do quite a bit... Is there a simple technique change to fix this?

All you have to do is simply strip (pull line) straight off the reel (parallel to the rod rather than perpendicular to it). In other words pulling it off just like it comes off when you've got fish on the reel. Believe, your line will last much longer!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Pros, hah... I have a question regarding the the Mastery Series GPX 6w Floating fly line from SA. I purchased this line in the end of September of last year. Since then, I have fished on the Bow River about 15 times, and stillwater about 3 times. My GPX line has completely degraded and is very cracked and falling apart. I feel like I've taken care of my line, cleaned it, and it is still degrading.. Is this common for GPX lines? Or does this seem to be a quicker degradation than normal?

Thanks for the feedback

Steve

Is it a certain section of the line, I find that over a period if I'm dry fly fishing for instance that I'm only using 30 or so feet of the same section over & over, same with nymping, same sort of cast over & over. Starts to break down that section. Your line definitely should have last a lot longer than that. I wipe mine down here & there when it starts to cast like crap or starts sinking or I can hear it in the guides . I think everything is good then one day look down & yep it's time for a new line.

Keep your bug spray off it, let your reel dry out at night , clean it once in a while & generally your good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just never let it dry *grin*

The longest my fly lines ever lasted (in "hours" or "days") was when they were constantly in use. I'd get 100+ days out of a fly line back then. now I replace line about once a season but that season might only involve 20 to 30 days on the water.

I kind of figure maybe they are like an old car. As long as it's running it's fine but if you let it sit for months at a time problems develop quickly!

• Like 1