Fly Fusion Forums

Driving Time And Tips

I'm goin to head down the forestry trunk road for the first time on Monday. Was wondering how long it takes to get there from calgary. Not asking for the sweet spots but if you want to tell me ill listen. Haha.

But wondering where a newbie could start off and what have you had hits on.

I haven't got a fish over six inches to the bet yet so I want to change this with this trip.

Thanks guys

Plumega from Calgary depending on which part you have two options currently.

Highway #2 south to Nanton, west on Highway #533, south on Highway #22. Then go west on the Maycroft road. It is right after the bridge and there is a big red building right there. This will take you to Highway #40 (Trunk road). I would recommend going north from there and exploring.

Or if you live in the west part of Calgary just get on highway 22 south and see above.

I would say roughly 2 hours to the trunk road.

• Like 1

head thru Okotoks, turn west and go to black diamond and take 22 south. Then once you cross the Oldman river going south, immediately after the bridge is the maycroft road, take it going west and it will shoot you right into the "gap" area. You could go all the way to the forestry trunk road (the next T intersection) and turn right (north) and you'll cross the racehorse right there, then you can hit the oldman, dutch, livingstone, and any number of small tribs. In my opinion none of it is fishing exceptionally well; however, I have been spoiled in years past and come to expect a 40 fish day out here and that is a rare occurance any more these days. Random camping, quads, and overfishing is having its effect.

The day went awesome other then a flat at the end of the day. Between me and seanD I think we got about 15 fish. There wasn't really any under two pounds. It was basically the best day I have had. SeanD gave me enough great pointers and tips that I got my first fish on the dry!!!. But it was the last fish of the day that got me. I was just throwing out a streamer just to do it cause I knew we where going to walk out in a few. Last cast in my head and wham there was my fish. Good day out!!

Thanks to mr. Bojangles for picking us up that saved us!!

"There wasn't really any under two pounds."

That's cause when I netted them for you in my weigh net, i scooped up a couple of rocks as well!!

haha

Again, thanks to mr. Bojangles for the lift back to the car.

and sorry to anyone who got stuck behind the car doing 80 (max speed of the space saver tire) with the hazard lights on!

cheers