Fly Fusion Forums

Spot Gps

Just out of curiosity how many people use a SPOT gps messenger? I was thinking about buying one to give the wife peace of mind sometimes when I'm gone but I'm not entirely sold on their contracts. Anyone have any insight into these units or is there something better out there for the odd check in message or trip tracking?

I don't have one, but my father does and he uses it all the time. I am on his message list and it is reassuring... I have been thinking of purchasing one for my wife as well. Besides the financial commitment I can see a down side.

Jay

Talk to Murray he uses one... A few other (similar) systems out there as well... We use a McMerdo Fast Find PLB - Used only in Emergency Situations to "send in the troops" (for rescue), as my wife is usually with me so don't need to contact her on a regular basis. We also have rescue insurance through the American Alpine Club (Up to $10,000 with a few specifics. It is free with membership - $175 for a family membership annually) as we also do a lot of backcountry skiing, canoeing and backpacking. So a little bit different then the SPOT type systems.

From what I have read with the SPOT, tree coverage will limit the sat signal (maybe that was just with the older model - which had a lot of other issues, as well - I think they improved it). For mostly remote river stuff should be fine, though the yearly subscription can add up.

P

I had thought the Delorme Inreach system looked interesting with its capability to pair with a smartphone to send small text messages over the satellite system. A bit expensive and not sure about the contracts but either way it looks like a cool technology.

I have been using one for about 3 years now. I bought one for my son as he does a lot of back country camping by himself. The thought was that it would give both my wife and I some peace of mind in the event he ever needed to be rescued from a remote area.

My wife thought it was a good idea so she picked one up for me. I now use it when I go fishing or camping by myself. If I remember correctly, the monitoring costs are around $100.00 per year. I've gotta say, it does give my wife peace of mind. Another thing I use it for is when I'm floating the Bow, if I'm running a little bit late due to excellent fishing, I'll just send her a message with a google maps link to show her where I am and she can adjust her arrival time to pick me up.

Like all satellite dependant units, it does require a clear view of the sky. But it will work in places where your cell phone doesn't, even out on the Ocean.

There are pros and cons but in my opinion, if you can stomach the $100.00/year fee, they are worth it.

Murray

Ya I'm strictly thinking about using it for camping a few nights just trying to weigh if the unit cost plus $100 year seems about right for probably only 10 uses this summer.