Fly Fusion Forums

I Am Such A Nerd

So about a month ago I upgraded from a tent trailer to a travel trailer. Anyone who has a trailer and a significant other knows that hooking up a trailer can be a bit tough on the relationship. Not sure why the wife doesn't like me yelling at her when things aren't lined up but she doesn't. So I have been looking at a back up camera type of solution. Decided i didn't want to connect up one of those license plate cameras.

The solution I came up with was to use the IP Camera app on my phone and streamed live video from it to my iPad. I bought a table vice to hold my phone on my bumper just above the hitch. So I had my iPad on my dash and was able to back up and connect today first try...and no yelling at my wife. Worked really well.

Give it a try if you have the equipment, works really well. Only takes a minute or so to configure and set up on your bumper. Oh yeah, I used the mobile hotspot on my phone to serve an IP address to the iPad in order to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

Princess Auto has a bit more low tech but functional solution for this.As best as I can I describe it,it's a set of two telescopic "antenaes" with magnetic bases that resemble small driveway reflectors?Stick one on top of your ball and the other on top of the hitch coupler.Telescope both antennae so theyre visible above your tailgate and simply line up the reflector targets when you back up.

Funny, that was the exact thing I was thinking about before coming up with my high tech solution. I hadn't figured out how I would attach some poles or flags but that stuff from PA sounds like it would work just fine. No real nerd factor though.