Fly Fusion Forums

Tree Removal

Darrin,

I went through this process last year (but for pruning and removal). I spoke to 3 or 4 companies and Tree Frog was the one that came out on top! Super happy with their price and customer service! I would whole heartedly use them again and definetely recommend them (I think their reco came through someone on this site, as well)!!

P

I used ULS....best price of all the quotes I got. (Did not call Tree Frog though) I had large oversize poplars, way at the back of my yard. They had to haul the lumber to the front where the chipper was parked. Made it more expensive.

But ULS came in 30% lower than everyone else and had the job done quickly, and even cleaned up the mess the chipper left. Ground the stumps the following week.

Great job they did....

DH just make sure they are not city owned tree's. If they are near the front walk they may be city owned, back further on property are yours. I do not recall how far from sidewalk designate yours or cities.
Yeah, the guy that quoted us the other day said the same thing. He's looking into it. If it is on City Property, who do I call at the City to have them take it down? Will it cost me anything?

It depends on the situation? Is the tree dead? Interferring with powerlines, sewer lines, etc. Unfortunately, the city won't just remove a tree because you want them to...

I would guess that you start by callilng 311...

It depends on the situation? Is the tree dead? Interferring with powerlines, sewer lines, etc. Unfortunately, the city won't just remove a tree because you want them to...

I would guess that you start by callilng 311...

Well, it's a Poplar that is easily over 30 years old ad half dead. The root system is severely invasive and I have had to cut down seepers in the neighbours yard as far as the opposite side of their yard from us, and even one that was over 7ft tall in their back yard. I'm just afraid of it destroying our foundation. I have heard of that happening on more than one occasion.

Yeah, the guy that quoted us the other day said the same thing. He's looking into it. If it is on City Property, who do I call at the City to have them take it down? Will it cost me anything?

The city will help you solve this problem. It is a free service provided by the City of Calgary.

In the genius of the previous owners, they planted a chokecherry tree that overhangs the front sidewalk. It guarantees a nice purple hue to my front entrance.

If the tree is less than 3.2m from the centre of the gutter, it is significantly probable that the tree is owned by the city. It might only be a 2% chance, but given the possible (and highly probable) $20000; they are protected by a rather zealous group of people. There is a positive aspects to zealots: they tend to be moral altruists. Call 311. They will send a city forestation officer to determine if the tree is protected by the city.

A tree can be protected outside of city jurisdiction (i.e. 3.2m outside the . A landowner can register a tree in their yard. The city will assess its value based on a rubric (i.e. its health, age, proximity to infrastructure, etc) before adding it to the list. The list is small, but they are, in my experience, fairly obvious (like a 90 year old apple tree, 100 year old oak, 70 year old spruce).

Hope this helps.