Fly Fusion Forums

Dubbing Brush Block

eagleflyfisher

Anyone used one ?

I'm making some nice brushes but really want to make some from CDC .

I built a couple tonight that were ok but allot of work and not to mention feathers.

I used extra fine wire but would like to maybe try a thread.

I'm worried the wire will be heavy for little dries.

So has anybody had any luck & maybe give a few pointers.

If you want to look up what the heck im talking about its called the

Jade river turbo dubbing block. Kinda cool, been making some decent streamers etc..

Tx Dave

you can find them for sale but not realy had to build a simple version. I normally use my Nor Vice to do the same thing. A wood block with 2 nails will get you started. I've seen many home made version that work great. It's just a glorified dubbing loop.

Eagle..

Made my own. Works much like the one posted. If was fancy - oak and all.

But the first time I made dubbing strips I used a 3/8" variable speed drill c/w a bent nail in the jaws for a motor for the first try. A 4" long board c/w a couple of nails -one @ each end to wrap the wire around works just fine.

Worth the effort - not hardly.

Gotta tie a lof of bugs to make the toy work the cost.

Don

Eagle..

Made my own. Works much like the one posted. If was fancy - oak and all.

But the first time I made dubbing strips I used a 3/8" variable speed drill c/w a bent nail in the jaws for a motor for the first try. A 4" long board c/w a couple of nails -one @ each end to wrap the wire around works just fine.

Worth the effort - not hardly.

Gotta tie a lof of bugs to make the toy work the cost.

Don

Put together a bunch of longer synthetic fur lengths of dubbing brushes. They are working well for some streamers im trying. About 3 streamers per length.

The cdc one im trying are another story, trying very fine wire and about 30-40 feathers to make one brush, time consuming and not worth the effort. Something about putting that much wire into my littje dries doesn't seem right to me.

We all use dubbing loops but I thought this might be interesting being that you can add as many colors, flash fur whatever and mix it up a bit and now have it in a decent lenght to crank out a few.