Fly Fusion Forums

A Cutthroat Stream May Be Logged In The Crow Area

Taco,

You know I was wondering the same thing this morning and concluded the greatest danger to fish populations in Alberta was apathy.

The "herd" gets all excited about picking up garbage all the while nobody does a whole lot about Rock Snot.

catch ya'

Don

Odd that it is described as a non commercial venture but there is no mention of what will be done with the signifigant revenue generated.

I find it hard to believe that the questions they are seeking to answer can't be determined by studying existing effects on already approved forestry projects (wether logging or prescribed burns) all over AB/BC in previous, current and future logging activities, certainly in area's with less potential and real impact on a sensitive watershed.

I read beyond paragraph four but all that did was generate more questions than answers IMHO.

How many guys here are familiar with Star Creek? Its mostly fishless (no fish above the falls) and is so close to the Crowsnest River id dispute there being much chance of pure strain cutts still being present. It is an important topic to study, as logging is intended to mimic fire disturbance and we don't really understand if it works on a watershed/ waterquality level. I always wondered if it wouldnt be a good candidate creek for pure strain Cutty introduction with a bit of habitat work upstream. There is a cool little lake up there (created in 1995 flood i believe) that may provide enough wintering habitat. Not likely to happen with the current state of Fish and Wildlife unfortunately. I wouldnt worry to much about the bears and other wildlife as id say fire suppresion has had a very negative impact in that area and a bit more grass would be a good thing. Ill be watching for more details on that proposal for sure, thanks for posting it up.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see the original copy as I'm sure there is a lot more context to the quotes the editors chose!

Equally interesting are some of the comment from the readers/tweeters/facebookers...