Fly Fusion Forums

Hiking Around The Mountains

I have been on Alberta now for about six months and have started hiking in the mountains more and more. I was wondering when you guys go on day or even multiple day hike do you bring things like bear spray or a giant crocadle don dee knife with you. I'm not worried about big animals till they get close I guess. Haven't seen one yet and I do hope to see them from afar

Ha - I knew it Peter - we're all nothing but bait to you aren't we !!!

Plumeja - Bear bangers, spray, knives are all only good in very limited specific situations - if you search the forum you'll find a couple discussions debating the topic exhaustively. They can be usefull but there use is predicated by your understanding that your behaviour is the most effective method and tool you have

The single most effective method is avoidance, as in, warning the bear of your presence - bells are somewhat effective in open lighty brushed and sparse treed area's. In dense low undergrowth and brushy areas the sound doesn't carry very far - alongside running water of any signifiagnce, they will give virtually no warning at all - Bears have zero interest in interacting with you and will avoid you given the opportunity (be aware of terrain traps along rivers and such) - sometimes they will follow your trail out of curiousity so be very wary of carrying fish or smelly lunch, and make extra noise when backtracking out if you see tracks or scat on the same trail

Single best thing you can do (and is a good practice for a number of other reasons) is to travel in a group or at minimum in a pair - make noise as in loud conversation or singing - or like alot of us, bellow alot of "HEY BEAR" yells as you go.

If you are travelling alone - make lots of noise, and make sure you let someone who is dependable know exactly where you are going, what you are driving, where you are parking and what time you are expected back, and at what time, you want the alarm raised if your not back as expected.

• Like 2

Definitely bear spray. I haven't used mine yet but i have been charged by 2 grizzlies over the past 3 seasons and also had a few other aggressive run ins, one required throwing rocks. Make noise, i find bells give a false sense of assurance so remember to still be alert. Ive had several bears come check me out after hearing the bells, they can be curious too. On multiple day trips make sure you keep a clean camp, Ive had a few bears wander right by the tent but if your food is all up a line a safe distance away they generally just keep moving. Seems to me if you spend enough time out west you're bound to encounter a grouchy grizzly, best to be prepared.

• Like 1

Yeah the old "hey beeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!" ... loud whistling of tunes, loud conversation and STILL I have had my fair share of run-ins with the critters. but almost every time I did, it was at a point where my focus shifted from bear awareness to getting to a fishing location, or not cleaning dinner up at camp quick enough / leaving something out while relaxing after supper in a lawnchair for a half hour, etc. I always carry bear spray. I've been lazy about it lately though, this thread should wake me up.... Another thing to note, you don't have to be on a huge hike in the mountains to run into bears. I have had the majority of my sightings while fishing on the Crowsnest River (while not any bad encounters, thankfully). I have also seen a few from afar while on the Bow below Calgary.

The most effective bear deterrent in studies with grizzlies was the human voice, not bells or bangers. Just talk loudly, yell or sing. They don't want to see you anymore than you want to see them. (Don't take that personally!)

• Like 1

I find this thread very interesting in that I have been fishing and hiking in the back country of Alberta and S.E. B.C. for getting very close to fifty years, and many times by myself. In all that time I have never met a bear while fishing, although I certainly have seen fresh signs, never the critter. My biggest scare came on a stream north west of Calgary when I was taking a short cut through the brush from one section of the stream to another and making lots of noise. All of a sudden there was a commotion emanating from the brush up ahead and my heart was instantly up in my throat. I thought I was up the creek without a paddle, so to speak. It turned out to be a deer running from me, I never did see the animal, but when it got into an open area, I could tell by the sound it made running, that it was a deer. Once up in behind Lake Louise Ski Area while backpacking and fishing with a friend, we had an encounter with a Wolverine, which the wardens had told us was in the area. After setting up camp and having our evening meal, I climbed a tree well away from our tent, for the purposes of hanging our stash. We turned in and I believe I slept with one eye open, and one ear operating all night, or so I thought, as I didn't hear anything all night long. In the morning I walked over to the tree to get our stuff only to find that something had climbed the tree, chewed the rope and ripped the s---t out of the bag and it's con-tense. After cleaning up the mess, and now having no food we decided to fish the stream in hopes of catching our breakfast. It didn't take long before we had enough fish for a meal. We then began fishing for fun not knowing the surprise we were about to have. After fishing the stream for a hundred or so yards I came upon a small waterfall of perhaps forty or fifty feet, which I was at the top of, and down below to my surprise was a Wolverine. What a magnificent animal, jumping from boulder to boulder as if there was nothing in it's way. To make a long story short, I decided to let the critter know I was there, so as not to surprise it, and that was probable the smartest thing I could have done. It look up at me and my partner, decided we were no threat and continued about it's business ignoring us completely. At that point fishing was over and we left the area. That is one encounter I will never forget, and I feel very privileged to have experienced!

Since I began fishing on Vancouver Island, my bear sightings have significantly increased, especially when salmon are around, however those that we have encounter, have left us alone, more intent on fishing than us. And those we have crossed path's with on the trail have disappeared very quickly. Like others have said, they would rather not have contact with us, and will keep their distance if they know we are there! It is always wise to take the proper precautions when in the back country.

• Like 1

Very cool story Gary! Were you up at Corral Creek/Hidden Lake area? Or further up towards Skoki?

I've seen wolverine tracks but never a sighting?

Thanks for sharing!

P

Thanks Peter, Baker Lake area.

Yep that's a pretty awesome story Gary ! - in 19 years up here I have only seen a wolverine once, watched it shred my pack (left at the base) from halfway up Louise Falls, stupid baggie of jerky cost me a nice pack.

Bears on the other hand...been over 5 years since I even bothered taking my camera out LOL - I think I am starting to become bearanoid though, I know too much about the statistical chances of something bad happening after hundreds of uneventful encounters, Experienced only three agressive bears so far, been bluff charged once riverside, swatted at downhilling the highline trail, and was chased downhilling on the tramline last summer. Generally I remind folks that say they haven't seen a bear up in this area that they shouldn't assume that a bear hasn't seen them lol

• Like 2

I have seen Wolverine at Mitton Lake near Golden. Nothing to screw with.

Nine Bay Lake, just down the road from Mitten is one place we did have a bear encounter. In the campsite or parking area, what ever you want to call it is where we had a bear come walking down the road until it saw us, then it went into the bush, proceeded to approach from cover. Once it got beside our camp we could see it looking at us from the bush. It watch for a short time then disappeared and we didn't see it again. You are absolutely right in saying that a Wolverine is nothing to screw with, but I would include most if not all wild animals in that statement. Simply respect them, and their ability to cause serious injury. In my younger stupid day's up in Jasper, my wife and I plus a friend came across several female Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep. Being rather naive we tried to get closer for that perfect picture. As we approached out from behind some cover came four big males with massive curls. They positioned themselves between the females and us. We backed away slowly, LESSON LEARNED! What I am trying to impart to everyone is that bears (even though they have the reputation) are not the only animal out there that can cause life threatening injury's, therefor it is wise to respect them all, and always be prepared! What Pipestoneflyguy stated is absolutely true, never make the assumption that simply because you haven't seen any critters, that they haven't seen you! I remind myself every time, that it is their home, I am the outsider, and there is always the possibility of an encounter!

• Like 1

GGP that is very, very true. The worst scare I have ever had (included VERY up close and personal with a griz once) was from a Moose. I got "treed" for an extended time on the Crow by a big bull moose once. I was lucky to have found the large tree I used as cover, had it not been there I doubt I'd be here.

Guest Grinr

X2 what ggp said.^^

For instance,most people would perceive a mature bull moose with it's massive rack of impalers as an intimidating critter that's not to be messed with.Stories of hunters being charged by rut crazed bulls only adds to their legendary status,when in fact it rarely ever happens.The truth is,gangly legged,dopey lookn' old cow swamp donkeys with calves are in fact far more likely to lay a serious hurtn on ya,not to mention they are far more common than grizzlies and be accompanied by calves during spring/summer when anglers are most likely to encounter them.....jest sayin'.

• Like 1

I agree Grinr, about the cow moose. Have seen a couple from a distance w/ calves and one close up but they never bothered us, but mind you we made sure not to bother them. In all honesty I've seen 10 times as many bears as moose in Alberta's west country... and I've spend many, many, many a day in it. Probably thousands. I see you are from out east though where there are what seems like more swamp donkeys than deer, so I'd assume that is very very true out there.

• Like 1

I have seen many bears in my life, many more blacks than grizzlies. I have never had a "close" call of any description. What i do find incredible is the all the people who have saved their own lives by shooting them. No tree hugger here, if tags were available i would be at the front of the line up.

X2 what ggp said.^^

For instance,most people would perceive a mature bull moose with it's massive rack of impalers as an intimidating critter that's not to be messed with.Stories of hunters being charged by rut crazed bulls only adds to their legendary status,when in fact it rarely ever happens.The truth is,gangly legged,dopey lookn' old cow swamp donkeys with calves are in fact far more likely to lay a serious hurtn on ya,not to mention they are far more common than grizzlies and be accompanied by calves during spring/summer when anglers are most likely to encounter them.....jest sayin'.

Moose are dangerous, but i know a lot of anglers/ hikers that seem to see way more grizzlies than moose while out and about. Ive seen around 25-30 grizzlies a year annually over the past 5 seasons, definitely see them more than moose and black bears. Ive only been chased by one moose over that time (cow with a calf), the bears definitely seem to give me more grief. I swear grizzlies outnumber moose up towards Hinton and Grande Cache and it seems we see about as many grizzlies as moose down in the Castle and Oldman country. Interesting to hear a variety of experiences on this topic, most of the guys i fish with have had similar experiences to mine as of late. I'm not even that bear paranoid, probably should be at this point though.

How so lad? What do you mean by that? Are you implying that the lot of us are a bunch of dimwits who cannot identify the difference between a grizzly and a black? Anyone who's responded to this thread seems to have quite a bit of backcountry experience in my opinion. Also anyone who know bears KNOWS that blacks can be a lot more dangerous than grizzlies if on the attack. What is the big difference? You'd best not take either for granted, there bears for goodness sakes!!

• Like 2