Fly Fusion Forums

Your Opinion, Retiring In Canada To Fish

Ther cost of living is somewhat up but quite comparable to Alberta all told, given that some goods are coming direct from Malaysia, China, etc that are much cheaper, while other goods are coming from N America or are oil product imports that are WAY more expensive (a L of oil is $16 for the cheap stuff; gas is $2.15/L). But, all told, maybe a little less than Alberta but more than Manitoba for sure.

If you could do a home property and winter in NZ at a wee place, you might really have a fishing tiger by the tail. :)

Thanks Terry, beautiful area but dont you find the wind to be too consistant? Otherwise Love the area.

The wind varies a lot depending on where you are. Lundbrek, Pincher Creek, Fort Macleod -- look out. Inside the mountains, i.e. Blairmore and Coleman, I don't find it a problem at all. Terry

Two area's I would like

1) Yelllowhead highway - Somewhere like Clearwater - gives you access to the whole Kamloops / Wells-Gray area, plus is reasonably close to the Jasper area - Access to the salmon runs - nice weather but not too hot like Kamloops. Affordable properties

2) Nordegg - Not much for services, and it is a tourist route, but you don't have to go far to find solitude and low pressure fishing, added bonus of remaining an Albertan. Short season but some of the best fishing anywhere in north america. Might take a while to purchase what you want in a home depending on what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Lots of great feedback, Thanks. You folks opened my eyes to research a couple of suggested locations, although the Bow is hard to be far from. Might just do High River and some warm place in winter, yet to be decided,(but close). Thanks Again Yukon is one that excites me.

Following up on Gary's post about staying in Alberta, do what I did -- retire in the Crowsnest Pass. There's great fishing close by in every direction, both moving water and stillwater. If you want to sample some BC fishing, the Elk Valley is minutes away. It's a beautiful place to live with all the small town advantages -- i.e. people are friendly, no rush hours etc. and if you need an urban fix, Calgary is 2 hours away, and Lethbridge is 1.5 hours away. I've been here for going on eight years, and I'm loving it.
X2 Terry!

The Crowsnest pass has been very good to me. Calgary is a great city but you can not beat the pass!

Lannie