Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2013 Edition

ggp

photo_zpsc2ad5e44.jpg?t=1361576467

Hey guys been tying some San Jaun worms and keep facing the same problem. Chenille always snaps right at the same point. This is an updated version in which I used the wire to set the chenille ends rather than the thread. The fly was soaked in water based head cement.

Any tips?

It might be the soaking of the chenille in head cement that is making it brittle. Though this does happen to most chenille worms after a lot of use.

Good luck!

Current

• Like 1

I've tried the above mentioned method of using the thread to tie it in. That method lasted even less time casting hence using wire to tie it in. Im now thinking its the chenille as ive even tried not using head cement. No dice. I'll try a few more methods and keep everyone posted, Worst comes to worst ill just tie wire worms!

Thanks guys,

Please don't consider me any kind of expert but you got me thinking. What if you simply wrapped the hook shank with wire as you have in the pictures but used a full length of chenille extending over the front and rear but also over top of the wire wraps. Tie in the chenille front, back and center. Melt the tips of the chenille.

Murray

Nice flies GGP I have a question about your first fly, would the large span of the hair prevent the fish from getting hooked?

Thanks. I don't think the hackle would prevent hook ups, but you could go to a straight hook if it becomes a concern.

ggp, I have been tying Bitch Creek nymphs for the last couple weekends, using interwoven chenille and a soft hackle. Trying to get my new camera fugured out, etc etc I hope to post pictures soon. Thanks again for your inspiration!

• Like 1

ggp, I have been tying Bitch Creek nymphs for the last couple weekends, using interwoven chenille and a soft hackle. Trying to get my new camera fugured out, etc etc I hope to post pictures soon. Thanks again for your inspiration!

Thanks for the nice comment. I'm looking forward to seeing your flies!

Nice flies GGP I have a question about your first fly, would the large span of the hair prevent the fish from getting hooked?

By the way hackle just brushes out of the way on a strike. I have fished "Skater" flies with 2" hackle with no problem with strikes.