Fly Fusion Forums

A 'warm' Weather Reminder

bcubed

That's a great reminder Bcube, it wasn't so long ago we were talking about all those large Brown Trout dying from a fungus growth on them.

I would like to add a note on personal safety. If you decide to hit the river, try going out with a buddy. The ice ledges are very treacherous. I seem to recall a gentleman fell in last year around this time of year and it cost him his life. Be ever so carefull.

Murray

I think another important reminder is keep the Trout in the water whenever possible. In sub zero weather the eyes freeze and are damaged easily.

Thanks, but how do I take pictures if I can't hold them out of the water?

• Like 2

I've used a glove before.I liked it for bigger fish,you grab it by the tail and it doesn't wiggle away like a bare hand grab does.How many times have you had a fish flop around because you can't get a grip onit?The fish flops around with every failed attempt.With a glove you grab and it stays,remove the hook, done.

I see more crappy nets used then gloves and they probably remove more slime then a glove would.

Well theres no doubt that handling a fish removes slime bare handed or gloved.Poly nets are a good example you can see the shine stuck to it after you've released the fish.

My point is what does more damage,a fish tailed say with a wet wool glove or a fish that flops around on the rocks or gets dropped because your hand is so frigging cold you can't even feel the fish.