Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying? 2012 Edition.

jordo

So here we are, as the the weather turns, and our days on the river are replaced by days at the vice, I figured we could use a new thread about what we are all tying. I`m kicking off this year with dries (mostly because I can find saddles again at a reasonable price). And after a few dozen Adams, I`m onto some CDC Caddis (critics are encouraged). So, what are you tying?

DSC_0003-1-1.jpg

That is a very nice Caddis Jordo! Have you ever tried tying it with an Etha Wing instead of the CDC?

I bought a couple of etha wing caddis this summer and found the they floated really well and fish absolutely loved them. Might have to try tying them myself this winter.

That is a really nice Caddis Jordo, I've tied a bit with Etha material and it's nice. Will be experimenting with it this winter also, alothugh I found some computer packing material that looks the same. Here's a full dress Royal Coachman classic wet fly that I just finished.

DSC_0177.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys, never used the Etha wing material myself but it's on my list of things to try this winter. Silver Doctor, that's a very nice Coachmen, I'll be doing some wets and Atlantic Salmon flies soon and may have some questions for you about married wings (you have some serious skills). Moved onto some Stimmies this week, almost done replenishing my dries so nymphs and wets will be up next.

DSC_0015-1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice ties folks.

Lornce, what type of foam are you using, it doesnt look like the bulky closed cell stuff

Thanks,

Tom

I use standard Craft Foam Sheets, cut in quarter inch strips cut to a point and wound in touching strips on the hook. Be carful not to wind it too tight or you will destroy the flotation properties.

SD, have you tested those foam bodies with no fur or feathers attached to help with floatation? They look pretty tight to me. Al & Gretchen Beatty covered the subject in a Fly Tyer article. I find most people overestimate the power of foam. For instance, most foam parachute posts are insufficient once the fly is saturated.

SD, have you tested those foam bodies with no fur or feathers attached to help with floatation? They look pretty tight to me. Al & Gretchen Beatty covered the subject in a Fly Tyer article. I find most people overestimate the power of foam. For instance, most foam parachute posts are insufficient once the fly is saturated.

Fished them over the summer with good results. They float low which is what one expects from foam but don't completely sink when the other materials are saturated. Certainly give you a few more casts before you need to change up. Without materials they float better than a hook with just body material that sinks.

Invermere, the legs are Sili Legs in a Pumpkin/Black Flake, the dubbing is my own concoction of Hareline yellow and orange with some natural Hare's ear and tan Hare-Tron mixed in a coffee grinder. I had been using a commercial blend (but cannot remember what it was) while tying some stonefly nymphs last year, and ran out mid way through a batch so I decided to make my own dubbing. Basically I threw a bunch of dubbing into a grinder and came up with a similar mix and finished the nymphs. I mixed so much, I've been using it ever since for most of my stone patterns.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...