Fly Fusion Forums

Addicted To Walleye

SanJuanWorm

Hey SanJuanWorm. I'm heading out pike fishing this Monday but the following I'd like to get out to Crawling Valley on my Pontoon and try out some Walleye on the fly. I'm from southern Ontario and at my parents cottage I grew up fishing Walleye, Bass, and Pike.

Do I need a sinking line to catch the walleye right now. I have a 5wt with a floating line and I have a spare spool with 15ft sink tip as well. I also have a 9wt with a floating line and also a 24ft sink tip.

Any info would be greatly apprecated.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Hey SanJuanWorm. I'm heading out pike fishing this Monday but the following I'd like to get out to Crawling Valley on my Pontoon and try out some Walleye on the fly. I'm from southern Ontario and at my parents cottage I grew up fishing Walleye, Bass, and Pike.

Do I need a sinking line to catch the walleye right now. I have a 5wt with a floating line and I have a spare spool with 15ft sink tip as well. I also have a 9wt with a floating line and also a 24ft sink tip.

Any info would be greatly apprecated.

Cheers.

They love black leeches. Got them all right on bottom in 14' of water. Edge of a weed bed.

• Like 1

I was out at crawling on the wknd to see if I could chase up some pike. Kinda slow for the pike, needs to cool down a bit more and kill off the algae bloom, but I also found the walleye and saved a slow pike day with a few walleye. Caught them all on a minnow plattern I tie that looks like a whitefish. With this cold front moving through it might be really good fishing out at crawling this wknd! Just curious where you were fishing on crawling? I usually fish up at the north end of the lake on the west side, although the east side out from the entrance to the big bay can be excellent at times as well.

• Like 2

Do you find you catch less pike using leech patterns? Last time I was out there I took my GF and we caught nothing but pike except for one small walleye. We were just using a variation of double bunny patterns. It was pretty funny because my GF could only cast the sink tip about 15 feet and she caught 3 pike. Just curious if the key for walleye is using smaller patterns?

• Like 1

Do you find you catch less pike using leech patterns? Last time I was out there I took my GF and we caught nothing but pike except for one small walleye. We were just using a variation of double bunny patterns. It was pretty funny because my GF could only cast the sink tip about 15 feet and she caught 3 pike. Just curious if the key for walleye is using smaller patterns?

I throw the anchor, weight up a leech and put er down. Not much fly casting. In about 50 walleye we caught 3 pike. One being over 7lbs. I missed another big pike that would have been around 10lbs but wasn't using a steel leader. So bye bye. My leeches are about 2.5 - 3 inches long. I have 4 inch ones as well.

I used to go out there all the time and just fish the inlet area... from shore, with fly and spin gear. This reminds me how fun that was most days. There's some BIG walleye, BIG pike, and once I even lost one of those fabled trout I think...

Badger or Crawling Valley?

NIce Eye SanJuan,

Once I get my boat fixed I will be hitting up some of the southern Alberta reservoirs to find those big female eyes that are roaming around looking to fatten up before winter.

My goal is to find one over 12lbs this fall.

Well we went out and caught 1 pike at badger. Weather was so bad we packed up and moved over to Crawling. Weather was bad but tried anyway. Up until a large wave went over the back of my boat. Called it quits at that point. Rough scary ride back to the dock. Boat is now winterized.