Fly Fusion Forums

Looky What I Found In Drumheller

SanJuanWorm

did you let tyrell museum know? they would probably be interested in it as well. you never know, they could be missing that body part from one of their own species hidden in the back, just waiting for that last piece to assemble and put out on display.

i'd send the picture to my uncle but he is an anthropologist (phd) and archeologist not a paelontologist, although i'm sure he knows someone who might be interested

SanJuan,

I am a member of the Alberta Paleontological Society and have a vast collection of dinosaur bones and fossils. It appears to be a dinosaur bone, but is tough to identify as it is quite weathered. If you have any more pictures please post them or send them to me if you wish. Thanks for the post, I don't get out to the badlands as much as I used to, since I spend most of my time fishing out west now.

In regards to permits, only professional palaeontologists are issued permits by the Alberta government for excavation. It basically works like this, if you are in a Provincial Park such as Dinosaur PP or Dry Island PP, you cannot keep any fossils you find. If you are outside the parks, you can keep a fossil if found on the surface and not still in its original matrix. This law is to discourage commercial fossil sellers like they have in Montana, Wyoming and Dakota. Personally I believe this rule is a bit severe and discourages amateur fossil collectors from finding new specimens. My collection is full of fossils I have dislodged from the ground, but I don't do any excavating and have given the Tyrell Museum the location of a skeleton of a duck-billed dinosaur I found a few years ago. They can do the grunt work. And just like fishing on private land you do need landowners permission. Most folks I have met have no problem with you staggering around their badlands.

Cheers.