Fly Fusion Forums

Furled Leaders

Just tried out my new furled leader last night with a just purchased 8ft 5weight Sage RPLIII, loved it. Turns over nice and hooked several fish just before dark. Any experiences with furled leaders? Nymphing with furled leaders?

Straight leader is better for nymphing, where a furled shines is dry fly, acts as a continuation of the line taper.

Good discussion. I would agree that the intent for furled is dry fly and is a perfect match for my nice little 8 ft 5 wt sage. I did try it nymphing/w indicator but at the risk of damaging the leader found it wasnt worth it. Great for turning over the leader and landing a dry softly though....

I have furled nymphing leaders that are just two strands of light super braid. They are very low diameter, no stretch and cut through the water like a knife. I felt like they gave a faster sink rate and better connection to the flies. Problems were the tangles were bad when they happened, and the leader would sometimes cut through the indicator.

What about braided leaders? Tom Rosenbauer on the or the orvis podcast was talking about using them for dry fly presentations in low clear technical waters.

Just my 2 cents

I fished braided leaders for a few years. Although they turned over nicely and cast well the thing I hated about them was a retention of water that would dump during the pickup and forward cast. It resulted (for me that is in my own experience) in a small shower of water drops that proceeded the line to the water which did not help stealth. The kick up of water on the pick up in turn would result in a slower pick up as it added weight. Something that doesn't happen for me with Furled.

Braided and furled leaders are totally different. Furled dress with floatant nicely to float, they pick up no more water than a hand tied leader and don't throw water on the false cast. The braided do not float well and absorb a goodly amount of water.

When using these type of systems as opposed to just a tapered leader it does take some experimentation to "tune" the leader for not only the length of taper for the line you are using but also the amount of leader you use to your terminal flies. They do turn over and straighten really nicely. I can use more tippet to fly with control.

They are not for everyone or for all fishing situations, where they shine and I bring them out are in flat tail water dry fly work to enhance a delicate presentation such as in snout hunting or dry fly work on lakes. They are not made for nymphing or streamer work.

And I'll add; I really like furled leaders for tight close quarter fishing small stream fishing. The ease of turn over means I can cast with virtually no fly line hanging out of the tip of my rod, just the leader, tippet and fly.

Just my 2 cents

I fished braided leaders for a few years. Although they turned over nicely and cast well the thing I hated about them was a retention of water that would dump during the pickup and forward cast. It resulted (for me that is in my own experience) in a small shower of water drops that proceeded the line to the water which did not help stealth. The kick up of water on the pick up in turn would result in a slower pick up as it added weight. Something that doesn't happen for me with Furled.

Braided and furled leaders are totally different. Furled dress with floatant nicely to float, they pick up no more water than a hand tied leader and don't throw water on the false cast. The braided do not float well and absorb a goodly amount of water.

When using these type of systems as opposed to just a tapered leader it does take some experimentation to "tune" the leader for not only the length of taper for the line you are using but also the amount of leader you use to your terminal flies. They do turn over and straighten really nicely. I can use more tippet to fly with control.

They are not for everyone or for all fishing situations, where they shine and I bring them out are in flat tail water dry fly work to enhance a delicate presentation such as in snout hunting or dry fly work on lakes. They are not made for nymphing or streamer work.

Hey Doc,

Thanks for your two cents worth. A lot more valuable than that. I really appreciate your detailed description. I have one more question for you.

How in tarnation do you get a silk thread Furled leader tight enough so that it stays furled. I have tried several times and it will not stay furled. I have made monofilament furled leaders in the past and they turned out real nice.

Thanks,

Dick Seymour

Hey Dick, I have not tried furling with silk, but have a used several different materials. I try to keep a constant tension and stop the twist when the leg is reduced by about 10% (I think that is the measure). Also, if you don't break one or two when working with a new material, you probably aren't twisting enough.

Hey Dick, I have not tried furling with silk, but have a used several different materials. I try to keep a constant tension and stop the twist when the leg is reduced by about 10% (I think that is the measure). Also, if you don't break one or two when working with a new material, you probably aren't twisting enough.

Thanks Conor,

I furled up four or five using silk thread and used the measure you talk about, maybe even going to 15%(15-18 inches on an 8 foot furl). I guess I'm going to have to break one to see how much twist it will take. I have also thought of putting some flytying wax on while I'm spinning it to see if that will hold it together a bit better. I bought a silk line and it seems to have a waxy substance on it.

At any rate I will keep you posted as to how I make out.

Regards,

Dick Seymour