Fly Fusion Forums

The Mighty Us Dollar....

With the us and cdn dollars now at parity+ I've been doing some shopping online with US distributors to pick up things I have a hard time finding locally without special ordering. I have noticed though that there is a allot of product out there right now on the net which is in fact cheaper than what we can get locally, even with shipping.

I am not advocating doing all your shopping online because supporting local shops is important but I do like to save money where I can. Color me practical. I am wondering if anyone else is following suit (or has been doing it for a while) and if they have any particular retailers they like? I have been dealing with feather-craft.com and am so far pleased.

-al

I found my dealers through e-bay and tend to use the same ones over and over. I like local support as well, but the shops have to deserve it. Poor service seems to be a Canadian custom from what I have read and experienced over the years. However I use TM Thorne out of Fort MacMurray and they are pretty darned good even compared to the U.S. Their prices are good and their service is second to none, so if you want to shop Canadian have a look (Google). Note I am not against shopping in the U.S. I just get stuff quicker from TM Thorne and that means I am perched by the mailbox for shorter periods of time.

I was pricing some Orvis gear lately and comparing the online prices direct from the company and the local shop...wow, no comparison...the difference is HUGE. Buying from the US and shipping here still saves me about 30%.

I think if the dealers want to be competative they will have to do what the gas stations do...sell at the price it takes to replace it. Keeping stuff marked up by 30-40-50% + just because thats what it used to sell for is no way to remain in business.

Guest bigbadbrent

if they bought and paid for it (which all have, and all before the sudden change in the dollar)...then they're suddenly out a LOT of money selling it for less. Plus all the duty and stuff it takes them to get here, thats why it will take a while before the prices to go down in the shops, and why it wont suddenly take a jump down

I know one thing for sure... auto dealers better wake up fairly soon, diesel pickup's are a minimum $16000 cheaper down south than here. While there are some "issues" , nothing insurmountable, that's cheap enough to have me considering replacing my current truck a yr and 1/2 early.

I know one thing for sure... auto dealers better wake up fairly soon, diesel pickup's are a minimum $16000 cheaper down south than here. While there are some "issues" , nothing insurmountable, that's cheap enough to have me considering replacing my current truck a yr and 1/2 early.

Taco,

It might be worth a wait on the truck. Breakfast Televsion ran a segment last Thursday or Friday discussing auto pricing between the US and Canada. Apparently someone has filed a class action lawsuit against four of the major automakers in regards to their Canadian pricing. I think we're going to see some major changes pretty quick. I could understand a slight mark-up for import taxes or whatever, but I think the days of the $16,000 price difference are coming to an end.

As for my purchasing, I'm back to ebay although I don't advocate it for everything. My dad had two shops that were pretty much forced out of business by big box retail stores, I still believe in supporting the the mom and pop shops and we have some great ones in Calgary!

I found many items on eBay cheaper than retail here back when the dollar was at .80, much less parity. I've bought and sold on eBay for years. The big difference in Canada is the shipping amount. I used to sell periodically from Houston to Canadian customers. The shipping is more expensive, but not strikingly so. If you search for sellers who are not marking up their shipping, you can do very well. I bought a Olympus camera on eBay. Cost me $6.00 to ship it.

Many people have mentioned shopping local to support your local retailers. I believe that is very important as well. But it does get hard when you can save $50.00 on a $200.00 reel. What I do is tell the local retailer "here is the deal I can get" and give them a chance to match, or at least get close. If they can't then the money goes south. If that happens enough, the market will certainly adjust.

I bought a tent trailer in Montana this year, used, for about $3000 less (at least) than what I could have gotten it for here. When I was talking to the customs guy at the border, he said that trailers were cheaper in the US when the dollar was .65, much less now. I plan to go down there next summer and buy both a travel trailer and a truck, unless prices here change significantly.

Yaaaayyy free trade!

Taco,

It might be worth a wait on the truck. Breakfast Televsion ran a segment last Thursday or Friday discussing auto pricing between the US and Canada. Apparently someone has filed a class action lawsuit against four of the major automakers in regards to their Canadian pricing. I think we're going to see some major changes pretty quick. I could understand a slight mark-up for import taxes or whatever, but I think the days of the $16,000 price difference are coming to an end.

As for my purchasing, I'm back to ebay although I don't advocate it for everything. My dad had two shops that were pretty much forced out of business by big box retail stores, I still believe in supporting the the mom and pop shops and we have some great ones in Calgary!

Yeah I'll likely hang and rattle for now but it is tempting ;) The only real issue of concern is warranty, GM/Dodge Canada will not honor the warranty for 6 months unless the truck is US registered, Ford is the exception.

Friend of mine runs a trucking outfit based out of Alberta and Texas and he just saved himself almost $20,000 on a new GMC dually, guess which end of the business bought the truck and I have 2 brothers that live and work in the Dallas/ Ft Worth area.

It's going to be a hit but retailers better wakeup, 25-30% is a big saving.

My DIL came through the Coutts border crossing last week. There was a new car in front of her so she queried the border guard. He estimated something like 50 cars per day coming through Coutts alone!! (Even if it is just ten cars...) The paperwork has to be pre done, but apparently the hassles are minimal.

My wife was in Shelby and Conrad (MT) yesterday to shop at quilt stores with a dozen other gals from Leth. Even in Conrad (pop 2500) the prices of cotton material are ONE HALF a of the prices in Lethbridge and they were given another 25 percent off because of the volumes sold yesterday to the Canuck ladies. She bought backing materials for a large quilt that cost her $31. It was over $100 here.

I'm for "buying local' .. and we buy most stuff here, but "enough is enough" in many cases.

Poof.. NOW I'm goin' fissin' :)

if they bought and paid for it (which all have, and all before the sudden change in the dollar)...then they're suddenly out a LOT of money selling it for less. Plus all the duty and stuff it takes them to get here, thats why it will take a while before the prices to go down in the shops, and why it wont suddenly take a jump down

This is definitely what's happening and I sympathize with them. Having said that, it's also in their best interests to move their stock. If people who would normally have purchased something locally start buying online because of the price difference, then the stock (which has already been paid for by the retailer) will sit. It isn't a good thing for a smaller retailer to have a lot of money tied up in inventory that isn't moving since it limits their ability to bring in new merchandise. Sometimes as a retailer you need to bite the bullet here and there to be competitive and stay in business.

And to answer the OP's question, www.cabelas.com might be worth a shot. Their prices seem to be similar to feather-craft and they ship to Canada. I haven't ordered from them myself, but I haven't heard anything bad about them and they are a large, well-known brand.

looks like the end of the lease on my current vehicle couldn't come at a better time.....I'm gonna go do some snooping on the web and see how much Mazda Canada is gonna try and rip me off in a few months. And then tell them to shove it, hopefully.

Usually stock up on the e-bay orders this time of year to get my fly tying stock filled up for winter..and not a better time with the loon up like it is..

as for the merchandise in stores and such..economists say it will take quite awhile (2-3 years) before prices drop substantially on US import goods..as for vehicles..I can't see them lowering prices in Alberta much..no matter what the MSRP sticker says...especially on large pick - ups.. the oil patch is the number one consumer in Canada of large pick-ups..I don;t think you'll ever get a pick-up in Alberta as cheap as in the US no matter what the loonie does.. Just my 0.02..

Well I'm just gobsmacked. The vehicle I'm looking at is $10,000 cheaper in the U.S. - $31,000 vs $41,000 here in Canada.

So....how does a person start the process of buying a vehicle down there - how do you find out what "extra" charges there are before driving 4+ hours to a dealership?

Taco,

It will be interesting to see how the Class Action goes. That said, for soome time now I have complained about the 26-30 percent price difference..all the while the looney climbed 40 percent or more to present levels. The only thing that is different now may not be inventory levels so much as that Canadian resellers that deal with US distributors still have to pay and are perhaps pocketing a pile more cash from the improved margin...and think that we Canucks just do not care about pricing.

Not just for fishing equipment and automobiles...look at boats and atv pricing defferences north and south of the border as well.

I have been travelling more and buying not to mention buying a lot more online too. It would be great to be able to support local shops all the time but a guy has to also look out for one's self too.

Well I'm just gobsmacked. The vehicle I'm looking at is $10,000 cheaper in the U.S. - $31,000 vs $41,000 here in Canada.

So....how does a person start the process of buying a vehicle down there - how do you find out what "extra" charges there are before driving 4+ hours to a dealership?

check this out - I never wrote it but it seems to be correct

HELPFUL HINTS FOR IMPORTING CARS

All my experience is based on shopping for and buying Japanese cars and pickups. In 20 years I have had no problems with warranty but I suggest you inquire on an individual basis. I live very close to the border so it has never been a concern.

I do suggest you buy from a responsible dealership. You can also get some protection buying through E-Bay.

The last vehicle I bought came from Miami to the west coast of Canada and my wife and I flew there and had a very casual trip home. Three and a half weeks. I saw many great deals along the way, especially in the weekend editions of newspapers. Don’t forget to consider the cost of picking up the vehicle or having it delivered. I will buy another vehicle in Feb or Mar for a winter holiday.

This is a very good time of year to buy as the 2008 models are here and they are clearing out the 2007 models.

You might begin by determining where you would like to go for a bit of a holiday and shopping in that area. Once you have found the vehicle you want at the price you feel is right the paperwork starts. Check out the vehicle through some agency such as “Carfax” $29.00. Avoid cars with questionable titles like “Salvage” or “Flood”

You will be expected to make an immediate down payment with the rest to follow within a week. I have asked for two weeks to complete and have always been accommodated. The dealerships will generally pick you up from the airport at no charge.

Items to discuss before completion:

1. Warranty

2. Clear title: you want this document for sure.

3. State taxes: currently some states want to collect taxes and then they will apply it to another state jurisdiction. Being a Canadian and not being even considered by the state taxation branch it sometimes becomes quite an issue and if things come to the worst you might have to pay and then apply for a refund if the dealer will not co-operate. I have had 100% success avoiding paying the state taxes. For this reason, I take a set of Provincial Vehicle Transfer forms and have the dealer sign them and never go near the state dept of motor vehicles for a permit. Only the owner is allowed to permit a vehicle.

4. Are they willing to give you a 7-30 day permit for your vehicle?

Before leaving to pick up the vehicle.

1. Check with manufacturer for recalls. You will need the VIN number. Any required work should be done ASAP as it generally takes about a week to get it into the manufacturer’s computer system. Once they have it you can request them to FAX you a “Letter of Recall Clearance” that you will need to get your Federal Safety Inspection started. It only takes the manufacturer 10 minutes to FAX you back the letter. Again no charge. You can arrange to have the FAX sent to a hotel where you intend to stay while travelling.

2. Get insurance for the trip home

While picking up the vehicle:

1. Make sure VIN Number is correct for the vehicle. The VIN number also indicates where the vehicle was made, the model and year of manufacture.

2. Make sure they give you the title. Nothing else is acceptable and you won’t be registering it in Canada without it.

3. Tires: if you think your tires are not good enough to drive home you can buy replacements. Tires are about 30% cheaper in the USA, just make sure you buy from someone like Goodyear, Firestone or Wal-Mart for future warranty and servicing. If they need to be replaced you will not be charged by Canada Customs. Just tell them.

US Customs: you must have your Vehicle’s title cleared for export at US customs before leaving the USA. This may require 3 days. It can possibly be avoided if you can suppy them with the year, make and VIN number ahead of time. I have always avoided this 3 day wait. Take in your “Bill of Sale” and the title.

Canadian Customs:

1. Take in your “Bill of Sale” and title. Expect to pay 6% GST plus $100 for having air conditioning. There might be extra duties if your vehicle is not made in the USA. Don’t try to come in with a ridiculously low invoice trying to save GST as they have the option of assigning a value to the vehicle based on a lot of previous transactions. I have had my invoices questioned because I shop hard but in the end I was allowed to use my invoice figures.

2. They will also charge you $206 which will pay for your upcoming Federal Safety Inspection.

3. You will get a receipt for this money and there is a number on the receipt. That number is referred to as a “Case Number.

Call the register of Imported Vehicles: contact www.RIV.ca and give them your “Case Number”

They will instruct you where to FAX/send your “Letter of Recall Clearance” Ask them to FAX back the OK to go ahead with your Federal Vehicle inspection. Best to have that FAX sent to the shop you are using for your inspections Few shops are authorized to do federal inspections. Canadian Tire shops are all approved but if you don’t want to use them and don’t know where to go e-mail me and I have a list of where you might go. Less than a day?? They will send you a sticker for the vehicle in a week or two. You can drive the vehicle before it arrives.

After passing the provincial which will cost you approximately $100. and federal inspections you are free to register and insure your vehicle. They will need to check that the VIN number matches. This is where it is handy to have the local provincial transfer form.

Good Hunting and if you are having difficulty finding a good deal let me know as I can probably help you buy under Black Book prices.

Disclosure: This is in no way a business for me and is only a good Samaritan offer help.

Larry

Usually stock up on the e-bay orders this time of year to get my fly tying stock filled up for winter..and not a better time with the loon up like it is..

as for the merchandise in stores and such..economists say it will take quite awhile (2-3 years) before prices drop substantially on US import goods..as for vehicles..I can't see them lowering prices in Alberta much..no matter what the MSRP sticker says...especially on large pick - ups.. the oil patch is the number one consumer in Canada of large pick-ups..I don;t think you'll ever get a pick-up in Alberta as cheap as in the US no matter what the loonie does.. Just my 0.02..

If the energy companies are tightening their belts like their fullpage ads claim they are, don't worry they'll look long and hard at 1 free pickup for every 3 or 4 purchased.

If you are going to buy a vehicle from a dealer in the states (new or used) keep in mind that it must have working daytime running lights to pass the federal safety inspection here (also the out of province inspection). On some models it's as simple as having the dealer plug in a diagnostic scanner and turning them on, on other models they actually change the country code for the vehicle which turns them on and also puts your dash in metric mode. Try and get that included in the sale because if you wait until you get it here to do it you'll probably have to pay a local dealer 50-100 bucks for a 30 second job. Keep in mind this is not something you can do with a cheapo hand held scanner you use just to extract trouble codes, the scanners that will do it cost thousands of dollars hence the reason a dealer charges just to hook it up. Just do a little google searching for what it takes to activate them on whatever you're thinking about buying and go from there but remember that they HAVE to work to pass inspection.

Well if any of you are after a deal, here it is. I called my Mazda dealership and told them the goods. He said if the vehicle I was looking at was indeed 10 grand less, he'd give me 7 grand off a new lease if I went back there. Now...why am I so skeptical here? And how come they never give you a deal like that any other time? Now I know why I can't stand shopping for a new vehicle.

Even at 7 grand off though, and especially if the dollar hits a buck fifteen as forecasted, I will still go to the States. 3 grand + is still worth the hassles.

BTW....great info guys - thanks for posting all of that.

I never thought I'd see the day when the loonie out-stripped the US megabuck. Last time this happened I think I was 3, and it didn't matter a whole lot at the time. I can remember vividly a few years ago paying 1.52 for parts from the US..........this feels wierd.

I hope the US gov't doesn't come out with some story like we're making weapons of mass distruction in our igloos or anything! Rickr, put in a good word for us, will ya?

Take advantage of the Loonie being up where ever you can, and retail is definitely one of the positives of a higher Canadian Dollar.

I say this because along with some positives, there are a lot of negatives that come along with it as well.

If the Loonie hits $1.15 as forecasted, it could have a very negative affect on things like tourism, international trade, etc., along with the "Alberta Advantage" as we know it.

Americans that would have in the past come up to be guided on the Alberta and BC waters, will think twice about it if the cost to them increases basically $0.30 on the dollar. This would make it difficult for the guides, or guiding outfits to continue as they have in the past. This is one example that applies to something that people on this board can relate it to.

The positive from above would be that is could potentially take some of the pressure off the waters, but when the cost is someone's livelyhood, I don't know if I'm okay with that.

One big positive to me, being a hockey fanatic, is that it will allow the Canadian teams to make more profit since 100% of the player's contracts are paid in American dollars for now. It should become more attractive for big name players to want to play in Canada in the future, (even Edmonton), because as we all know with Pro athletes, in the end it comes down to money.

I'm curious as to how, or if it has affected anyone here yet? For me it definitely has, along with or brilliant Premiere's "Royalty Review". I work and depend on Alberta's Oil Sands and the rise in the Canadian Dollar has really put a kink into future expansion plans in the area. This and the uncertanty of the outcome of the Review could potentially force me to seek to make my living over sees, and that would break my heart. Then my nickname here would really apply. :(

Take advantage of the Loonie being up where ever you can, and retail is definitely one of the positives of a higher Canadian Dollar.

I say this because along with some positives, there are a lot of negatives that come along with it as well.

If the Loonie hits $1.15 as forecasted, it could have a very negative affect on things like tourism, international trade, etc., along with the "Alberta Advantage" as we know it.

Americans that would have in the past come up to be guided on the Alberta and BC waters, will think twice about it if the cost to them increases basically $0.30 on the dollar. This would make it difficult for the guides, or guiding outfits to continue as they have in the past. This is one example that applies to something that people on this board can relate it to.

The positive from above would be that is could potentially take some of the pressure off the waters, but when the cost is someone's livelyhood, I don't know if I'm okay with that.

One big positive to me, being a hockey fanatic, is that it will allow the Canadian teams to make more profit since 100% of the player's contracts are paid in American dollars for now. It should become more attractive for big name players to want to play in Canada in the future, (even Edmonton), because as we all know with Pro athletes, in the end it comes down to money.

I'm curious as to how, or if it has affected anyone here yet? For me it definitely has, along with or brilliant Premiere's "Royalty Review". I work and depend on Alberta's Oil Sands and the rise in the Canadian Dollar has really put a kink into future expansion plans in the area. This and the uncertanty of the outcome of the Review could potentially force me to seek to make my living over sees, and that would break my heart. Then my nickname here would really apply. :(

I work in technology and the higher dollar is without question affecting my industry. It is becoming more and more fiscally responsible for me to hire over seas (in India and China etc.) than it is locally. The trade offs were more palatable to argue away when the dollar was weaker against the greenback. For background, my company is US based, we have over 100 people here in Calgary but I think growing that is a challenge (not impossible, but more challenging) with a weak US dollar. So it's not just energy feeling it.

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

yeah its great if your an american selling in canada now, but a ton of the industry in canada is based in making american dollars, so its definitely hitting home with anyone that deals in american dollars (my dad, persay, is definitly feeling the pressure)

We Albertans might get a rude wake up call in the near future, more so than the rest of the country. The rest of the country will feel it too, but not immediately.

If the Canadian Dollar levels off, even at $1.10, everyone will adapt and business will eventually continue as always, but along with the potential outcome of the Royalty Review to go along with the high Dollar, it could spell trouble.

It is basically just bad timing IMO. If they increase the Royalty intake to 20% as proposed to get $2 billion per year in Royalties, it will, and already has with the threat, cause investors to take their money elsewhere.

To earn that $2 billion, it has been estimated that it will cause $26 Billion in developement money to not be spent in the Oil Sands. I'm no math Wizz, but I'd say that isn't very good business.

People think that the Oil giants should be paying more money, and maybe they should be, but the money to build the plants comes from Investors that will just find another place to put their money to get a profitable return. With the high Dollar and less return on their investment due to increased Royalties, the Oil industry in Alberta won't look so appealing.

Average Joe Albertan is only being told about the additional $2 Billion, combined with a strong Canadian Dollar, everything looks Hunky Dory to them. Anyone involved in the Industry might feel differently though.

The old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sums it all up IMO. We have it pretty good and I'd hate to see that change.

One immediate positive for me is that they have put a hold on a lot of contract work in Fort McMurray until the Review results become finalized. Therefore, I get to fish the Bow for a couple days this week.