Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta Fisheries -insights To The Future

Guest galsfishtoo

Fully agree with the nature of bob edens ideas on the red deer, although the paid harvest of a trout?? not too sure. walleye could definitely sustain a very strictly managed harvest on the system though, without a doubt.

Guest galsfishtoo
Fellow anglers, we have to stand up for ourselves. We are the ones that see what is happening because we are out there fishing. If we don't get involved in trying to improve the situation, then nothing will change and we haven't at least tried. Please read the petition and sign it if you agree. Thanks :)

Fully agree with the nature of bob edens ideas on the red deer, although the paid harvest of a trout?? not too sure. walleye could definitely sustain a very strictly managed harvest on the system though, without a doubt.

I too agree with Bob's ideas about the Red Deer River, except for the idea of any retention. A zero limit is easier to enforce than a slot size. I fish a lot on the Battle river in the winter time, it is getting more difficult to catch a 63cm+ fish. Besides the absence of the slot sizes there are a lot of dead undersized. By the time the angler measured the fish a few way attempting to make 63 cm the fish is dead. I believe the same would happen on the rdr . Also if you open one species or another there would be a draw of more fishing pressure resulting in more poaching of all species. The underlining issue is again lack of enforcement . I fish the river a lot and I can safely say I have never been stopped or even seen wildlife enforcement . It is only because the majority of fishermen are ethical and conservation minded that we have the fishery we do now.

Guest Wrecker

Lonelyangler,

You sum it up nicely when you say "lack of enforcement"

SRD takes a seat further back in the bus with the passing of each budget. Sad..

Guest Dust1n

I agree with it but i just dont want to see the tags on the brown trout. Iv caught the same brown trout for years and they stay in the same spots every season, other then that I think its awesome!

Guest galsfishtoo

Rampant Illegal Retention (illegal retention rates of 39 – 50%), Inadequate Fines & Poor Enforcement are big issues with me. I have only been checked "1" time coming off of the Red Deer River. This is in the past five years or so and I was fishing pretty often. I have been checked "Zero" times in other numerious places where there has been a significant decline in the fish population and these are "catch and release only" waters. The amount of fines collected annually by Fish and Wildlife Officers is pretty small compared to their salaries. I don't know for sure what the fine rates are but increasing them significantly, may help to deter some people and should provide more money for enforcement.

Sad sums it up.

Come on 230 views and 5 people have signed it , pathetic for a fly fishing forum.

Ok, first off, I did sign it and think the effort is commendable.

However, if I could add one bit of constructive criticism it would be in the layout and information of the website itself. Took me quite a while to "filter" through the various articles and info, which are well written, but almost to the point of being unaccessible to the average Joe.

After reading through several articles myself, I was under the impression the petition was for all of the key issues listed. So I was a bit befuddled when I saw the list of suggestions on the petition itself. They just didn't have a whole lot to do with the bulk of the key problems discussed or the examples given. Not that I didn't agree with what was on the site or the petition itself, just that the info didn't match.

It was kind of like going to a steak house and they give you a big menu, and then when it's time to order, they tell you all you can do is order from the salad section. You'd be a bit confused too. :blink:

At least that was my experience and might be why others aren't jumping in to sign. Felt too much like a political platform page where the actual platform is not clearly identified and the content is nebulous and vague.

Cheers.

One thing I did not appreciate that much was the divisiveness of the tone in regards to the walleye criticism.

Mr. Edens has conveniently forgot to mention that walleye stocking was suspended for several years. Also, walleye, being a different species, are generally stocked as tiny fry; the predation / mortality is high, hence the higher stocking numbers.

Bottom line is that (1) his efforts are laudable for the most part, but (2) pitting species against species, and by association, anglers versus anglers is not helpful.

I'll keep an open mind, and as I said, several principles are obvious and worth supporting (more enforcement, duh), but I am not signing it, for now.

Mr. Edens needs to convince me that his anti-walleye rant/stance is justifiable. Because it really is not, imho.

Cheers,

Smitty

The petition is separate from the website, click on the "Sign the Petition" button on the main page it will take you to the petition. The petition has 3 points listed at the top of it. Not going to list them just read it again.

The website is there to provide people with factual information, hopefully getting you to use the Email function on the site which will fire off your opinion to about 25 different officials starting with the Premier of ALberta. Please feel free to use this function to express your opinion. The time is now before they brush these latest oil spills under the carpet.

You know personally I could careless if they clearcut from Airdrie south to the border, but I still signed the Save the Castle petition. Come on lend some support to a fellow angler.

One thing I did not appreciate that much was the divisiveness of the tone in regards to the walleye criticism.

Mr. Edens has conveniently forgot to mention that walleye stocking was suspended for several years. Also, walleye, being a different species, are generally stocked as tiny fry; the predation / mortality is high, hence the higher stocking numbers.

Bottom line is that (1) his efforts are laudable for the most part, but (2) pitting species against species, and by association, anglers versus anglers is not helpful.

I'll keep an open mind, and as I said, several principles are obvious and worth supporting (more enforcement, duh), but I am not signing it, for now.

Mr. Edens needs to convince me that his anti-walleye rant/stance is justifiable. Because it really is not, imho.

Cheers,

Smitty

The petition has nothing to do with walleye, reading comprehension not your strong suit or what.

The petition has nothing to do with walleye, reading comprehension not your strong suit or what.

Wow GrnDrake. Totally a**hat reply. Uncalled for. Clearly you missed my point...perhaps you "suffer" the same issue as me, in terms of reading comprehension? Or you just can't stand someone who has a differing viewpoint?

Smitty

Guest Wrecker
Can't support the stocking of NON NATIVE FISH in flowing waters that already have Native Species.

Where do you fish?

Wow GrnDrake. Totally a**hat reply. Uncalled for. Clearly you missed my point...perhaps you "suffer" the same issue as me, in terms of reading comprehension? Or you just can't stand someone who has a differing viewpoint?

Smitty

You stated you wouldn't sign the petition because of Bob's views on wallyeye, like I said the petition has nothing to do with walleye. You seem to think the website itself is the petition.

You stated you wouldn't sign the petition because of Bob's views on wallyeye, like I said the petition has nothing to do with walleye. You seem to think the website itself is the petition.

Thank-you for a more thoughtful response without the insults.

In fact, I agree with you. Mr. Eden's stance on walleye has very little to do with the actual wording of the petition. That is exactly my point; I'm all for fisheries enhancement and increased enforcement. So why did he even bother in the first place with the divisive tone? He could have made all his points without including the rant against walleye.

So, again, because he does identify walleye stocking as a "key problem" on his website, and because of that tone, I, for now, am holding back. Lets not pretend that the information on his website has absolutley nothing to do with his entire message summarized in the petition, because he is the one making those very tenuous connections, not me.

Regards,

Smitty

Thank-you for a more thoughtful response without the insults.

In fact, I agree with you. Mr. Eden's stance on walleye has very little to do with the actual wording of the petition. That is exactly my point; I'm all for fisheries enhancement and increased enforcement. So why did he even bother in the first place with the divisive tone? He could have made all his points without including the rant against walleye.

So, again, because he does identify walleye stocking as a "key problem" on his website, and because of that tone, I, for now, am holding back. Lets not pretend that the information on his website has absolutley nothing to do with his entire message summarized in the petition, because he is the one making those very tenuous connections, not me.

Regards,

Smitty

I fail to see how stating the facts is a rant.

I fail to see how stating the facts is a rant. I don't keep fish myself but correct me if am wrong but don't you have to apply for tags to harvest Walleye. Yet my friends tell me theres many lakes with so many walleye that their starving, all heads no body. Be nice too see them spend our money more wisely.

I fail to see how stating the facts is a rant.

Its all in the tone, my friend.

And, to cite an exaggerated example, all one has to do is look at Fox News to see how "facts" can be spun to have a certain slant. For example, one might "fairly" say, that, when walleye stocking was suspended years ago, this province became "trout obsessed" instead of walleye obsessed. Yes?

Anyways, round and round we go, to the petition, I still say no! (look, it rhymes!)

Smitty

Its all in the tone, my friend.

And, to cite an exaggerated example, all one has to do is look at Fox News to see how "facts" can be spun to have a certain slant. For example, one might "fairly" say, that, when walleye stocking was suspended years ago, this province became "trout obsessed" instead of walleye obsessed. Yes?

Anyways, round and round we go, to the petition, I still say no! (look, it rhymes!)

Smitty

ok I get it you don't like Bob your not signing his petition. No wonder these pricks can rape and pillage Alberta at will and not give anything back.

ok I get it you don't like Bob your not signing his petition. No wonder these pricks can rape and pillage Alberta at will and not give anything back.

No, actually you don't get it. I have nothing personally against Bob, would love to meet him and find out his thinking on this issue.

And we're back to that a**hat comments eh GreenDrake? Insinuating that my lack of signing this petition implies that the "rape and pillage" of Alberta is somehow my fault?

And as far as giving back, go pound some sand. Is that why I'm giving up part of my personal summer holidays to take some kids fishing in August?

Your comments speak more about you than they do me. Bottom line is I don't deserve your cheap shots, if you have nothing constructive to say, then why say it?

All the best,

Smitty

Guest Wrecker
And, to cite an exaggerated example, all one has to do is look at Fox News to see how "facts" can be spun to have a certain slant.

Smitty

Actually, the CBC would be a better analogy...