Fly Fusion Forums

Putting Rod Sections In A Tube?

ÜberFly

So what is the "proper" way to put the sections in a sock/tube? Thin end down or thin end up?!

I recently purchased a Winston Boron IIIx and noticed on one of the you tube videos that they were putting the thin end down? Seems that it would be safer if the thin sections were up?!

Is there a "correct" way (i.e., lessens the chances of breaking a tip) or does it matter?

P

Guest Wrecker
So now that we got the peanut gallery out of the way...

Honestly dude,

Your putting the rod in a tube. Why in the world do you think it would matter which direction you put it in?

I felt a few brain cells explode answering this post...

Peter, I understand your concern. Personally, I insert the thick end in the sock first. I suspect you might do the same. When removing the sections from the sock, I pull the sock down just enough to expose the tip of the top section. My concern is that it is easy to snag the thin piece at the end and breaking it. I've tried putting the tip section down so that the thin end is at the bottom of the sock but it is just as easy to snap the end that way as well.

I guess what I'm really saying is, either way works for me, just be carefull with the tip section. Also, at the end of the day, don't get lazy and leave the rod assembled. I broke the tip off a very expensive rod by trying to put it in the cargo section of the motor home. Thought I was being smart untill I heard the snap. 9 ft. Rods don't fit in 8 ft. Wide cargo bins.

Take care Peter

Murray

I do it just the way they are packed at the factory -- Sages at least. The thickest sections (i.e. the bottom two sections) are alternated with the thinnest two (i.e. the top two sections) when you put them in the sock. The thick sections go in thin end first, the thinner sections go in fat end first. This accomplishes two things. You lessen the risk of breaking the thin sections, while there is minimal risk of breaking of breaking the thick sections. Also, you don't end up with all the biggest line guides at one end of the sock. Makes sense? Terry

I do it just the way they are packed at the factory -- Sages at least. The thickest sections (i.e. the bottom two sections) are alternated with the thinnest two (i.e. the top two sections) when you put them in the sock. The thick sections go in thin end first, the thinner sections go in fat end first. This accomplishes two things. You lessen the risk of breaking the thin sections, while there is minimal risk of breaking of breaking the thick sections. Also, you don't end up with all the biggest line guides at one end of the sock. Makes sense? Terry

What Terry said...

I tried to click on the coupon but it didn't work ............must have already been used DAMMIT! i need to know is a Zebra white with black stripes or is it Black with white!

nice seeing you the river troutlover , watched your bud in action from other side , and he's a working machine , nice , was a good show for me and my client ,

Personally and purely out of habit I put my fly rod sections into tubes narrow end first. But if you have a good quality tube that is well padded on both ends it really doesn't matter. I love tubes that have individual cloth compartments for the sections and well padded ends. Better in my opinion than a separate sleeve, easier to pop the sections in. I do make sure on all my rod tubes that there is enough padding at each end so the sections do not move once sealed in the tube. I often add padding on my older rod tubes.