Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Steel

flyangler

Nice...Good to hear they are starting to show up. 5 more days and we'll be joining you folks.

Can't wait. How are the river conditions, weather, angling traffic?

this is from a Steelhead newsletter I get.

Update from Chad Black of Nicholas Dean Lodge

Weather good. Water good. While fishing has not been "fast and furious," those anglers willing to put their time in have been rewarded with colours of chrome. The Skeena River has been producing the most Steelhead hookups and some decent Coho fishing, although its tributaries have been producing fish as well. In fact, a couple of experienced Spey fishermen even raised 10 Steelhead "players" to the dry fly, though most fish did not connect. On a few of the Skeena tributaries, the dry fly can actually be more productive than wet flies in clean, low water conditions.

Update from Nicholas Dean Lodge

Dustin Kovacvich guided a group of three anglers from Ontario. Fishing for Steelhead and Coho was fantastic! They landed 20 Steelhead plus numerous Coho. They were fishing the Ontario "high-tech" float fishing system with 14-foot noodle rods and center-pin reels. The rods were actually modified 14 foot Spey fly fishing rods. They "bumped up" their tippet strength to 12-pound test to handle our bigger fish. Chad Black reports their fly fishing guests were having great success also. Good news re the fishing. All rivers are in GREAT shape and the weather is fantastic! I have spoken with just about all of the guides I book trips for they are very pleased. Seems to be plenty of Steelhead in the Skeena River now and lots of Coho showing up in the tributaries.