Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Modification Question

just...

There is something to be said for going slow and watching. Time after time paying attention to just the tiniest clues will yield decent fishing. The tiniest clues for the boat users are lost in a burst of speed and a endless search for easier fish. Buzzing along here and there just wastes good fishing time. If you ever watched a heron fish, there isn't a plastic prop on his butt. Patience does it.

Mind you, you can troll effortlessly. Some thing the newest large arbor reels and plastic rods do well.

catch ya'

Don

just...

There is something to be said for going slow and watching. Time after time paying attention to just the tiniest clues will yield decent fishing. The tiniest clues for the boat users are lost in a burst of speed and a endless search for easier fish. Buzzing along here and there just wastes good fishing time. If you ever watched a heron fish, there isn't a plastic prop on his butt. Patience does it.

Mind you, you can troll effortlessly. Some thing the newest large arbor reels and plastic rods do well.

catch ya'

Don

I totally agree with you on the benefit of going slow and reading the small clues but the "burst of speed" is a bit of a stretch.

The best you can get out of an electric motor even with a good wind is 5mph and yes at that speed you can/will miss things.

Don I bet if you were try a pontoon that was built to satisfy anyone/everyone even the needs/wants/likes of a cane flicker. Your view would change.

It just so happens, I have and it's yours to try.

What do you say?

it was posted already and i agree, why do you have to steer the motor??you have two flippers just angle them a little and you turn.the motor always pulls ya not push.you can also row while the motor is on so you can get over to Don quicker to ask him what hes using.same thing in the river steer with your flippers and fish with your hands.

and for those of you that the motor gets in the way of the anchor just move the mount off to the side.the motor doesn't have to be in the center.

it was posted already and i agree, why do you have to steer the motor??you have two flippers just angle them a little and you turn.the motor always pulls ya not push.you can also row while the motor is on so you can get over to Don quicker to ask him what hes using.same thing in the river steer with your flippers and fish with your hands.

and for those of you that the motor gets in the way of the anchor just move the mount off to the side.the motor doesn't have to be in the center.

Unless said person has flipped the head of the electric motor it will be a push motor.

Flippers will work great as long as it is not a stand up model that has a floor.

Moving the motor mount when it is part of the frame is a lot of work which would require it to be cut off and rewelded/painted.

There is still a good chance of catching the anchor rope or a pontoon depend how high you have the motor and how hard of a turn you make.

My solution: Flip the motors head 180 degree's and mount the motor on a 2x4 which is bolted to your foot pegs.

Even pontoons that are not stand up models can run with the motor on the front with no worries. A pontoon with a floor is ultimately the best set up as the height of the motor can be adjusted depending whether you are sitting or standing.

When standing and casting you just reach down to steer or speed up/slow down.

Trolling is just as easy just reach forward.

Oars are not needed but it is a law to have one at least. I just have them bungi to the pontoons so they are out of the way but accessible if ever needed.

post-1844-1337000158.jpg

Unless said person has flipped the head of the electric motor it will be a push motor.

Flippers will work great as long as it is not a stand up model that has a floor.

Moving the motor mount when it is part of the frame is a lot of work which would require it to be cut off and rewelded/painted.

There is still a good chance of catching the anchor rope or a pontoon depend how high you have the motor and how hard of a turn you make.

My solution: Flip the motors head 180 degree's and mount the motor on a 2x4 which is bolted to your foot pegs.

Even pontoons that are not stand up models can run with the motor on the front with no worries. A pontoon with a floor is ultimately the best set up as the height of the motor can be adjusted depending whether you are sitting or standing.

When standing and casting you just reach down to steer or speed up/slow down.

Trolling is just as easy just reach forward.

Oars are not needed but it is a law to have one at least. I just have them bungi to the pontoons so they are out of the way but accessible if ever needed.

i guess if your arms cant reach the controls you'd have to spin the motor other wise you point the controls out in the lake so it pulls ya.this gives you better accsess to your stuff since the handel isnt in your way.

moving your motor is easy just bolt on a piece of plywood that exstends over a bit then clamp the motor there.

i can't comment on the stand up thing,sounds like you have it figured out.

having the motor at the front or by your feet on a regular toon is just asking for trouble,this where most of your slack fly line will end up.

motors always pull,better control, easy trolling and if you want to go real slow spin the motor around and put it in reverse.

i guess if your arms cant reach the controls you'd have to spin the motor other wise you point the controls out in the lake so it pulls ya.this gives you better accsess to your stuff since the handel isnt in your way.

moving your motor is easy just bolt on a piece of plywood that exstends over a bit then clamp the motor there.

i can't comment on the stand up thing,sounds like you have it figured out.

having the motor at the front or by your feet on a regular toon is just asking for trouble,this where most of your slack fly line will end up.

motors always pull,better control, easy trolling and if you want to go real slow spin the motor around and put it in reverse.

If the motor is mounted to the front of your foot pegs as per my suggestion, the head of the motor will be a minumum of 24" from the front of the seat. Your foot pegs will still be adjustable so you can still move the pegs out at least a foot more. That give you about 36" from the motor head to the front of the seat. Most small Minn Kota's have slide in/slide out handles which will help to reach or to get out of your way.

As for for the trouble of slack line use a stripping basket (most pontoon come with them) or change to a floating line.

( I am not sure you understand my meaning of spinning the head. Just incase There is a small nut and bolt where the control head mets the shaft. Undue the nut and pull the bolt out, spin the head 180 degrees and install bolt. )

( I am not sure you understand my meaning of spinning the head. Just incase There is a small nut and bolt where the control head mets the shaft. Undue the nut and pull the bolt out, spin the head 180 degrees and install bolt. )

This is what I did, but I think I will still mount the motor off the back. Now the motor will pull me in the same direction as if I were using the oars. Will also negate the worry of having line tangle up in the motor.

This is what I did, but I think I will still mount the motor off the back. Now the motor will pull me in the same direction as if I were using the oars. Will also negate the worry of having line tangle up in the motor.

I consider fishing to be a very personal thing where if it makes you feel good or you enjoy yourself than that is the way to do/have things. Hopefuly we will met up one day and I can try your set up and you can try mine.

Either way it will make for a great day fishing.

I consider fishing to be a very personal thing where if it makes you feel good or you enjoy yourself than that is the way to do/have things. Hopefuly we will met up one day and I can try your set up and you can try mine.

Either way it will make for a great day fishing.

Now that sounds like a plan, perhaps a K Lake exscursion in the near future?

Now that sounds like a plan, perhaps a K Lake exscursion in the near future?

I'm interested, I can make any day if givin a couple days notice.

I also have a trailer that can carry a lot of pontoons so if anyone else is interested we can car and truck pool it.

biggyj

I use to fish some pretty big lakes when I fished from a pontoon boat. Would never want to row them plus on a windy day you can't beat an electric motor. I had a Minn Kota 30lb with a wheel chair battery gel cel. Small and light weight and it would last me a full day.

Like Tungsten said, travel in reverse when crossing a lake and use your fins to steer. Just tighten the knob on the motor shaft once you get her going straight. Very relaxing too !

Here are some pics from mine regarding the platform, dry box, motor and anchor mount. Mine is an aluminium Scadden and I had a welder do the mods for me. If you need used aluminium go to Federal metals over on 52nd SE. Flat sheet goods plus tubing. Cheap !