Fly Fusion Forums

Setting The Hook Help

kpeda

Hey guys still new to the game I went out today and managed to get 3 nice bites but lost all three to what I think was improper hook set. I was nymphing I had one stay on the hook for like 30 secs. I think I am pulling the flys right out of there mouths if anyone has any pointers On this topic would be great thanks for your time

K-peda

Guest Grinr
Hey guys still new to the game I went out today and managed to get 3 nice bites but lost all three to what I think was improper hook set. I was nymphing I had one stay on the hook for like 30 secs. I think I am pulling the flys right out of there mouths if anyone has any pointers On this topic would be great thanks for your time

K-peda

Sounds more like a drag issue than hookset if your pulling out after 30 seconds?Putting too much pressure on the fish,trying to horse it in before it's ready maybe?Remember flies are very small,tiny by comparison to other types of hardware tackle,and it doesn't take much to rip a sz16 hook out of it's purchase.

Barbless hooks require you drive them home... you can hear my hookset a mile upriver... never had a problem with ripping through a fishes mouth even with the smaller hooks 18-20....just keep even consistent tension on the line when fighting the fish..theyll let you know when they are ready :beer:

Guest JBear

i have seen way to many times an aggressive hook set miss fish. I have always found that just a quick lift in the rod, similar to chironomid fishing does the job well, i havn't mastered that but im working on it, but i have seen another angler in our boat dial it in, its nuts.

Gotta respectfully disagree on the light hooksets when nymphing Best nymph fishermen I have seen just hammer the hooks home. Due to the dynamics involved, you have to set the instant you detect the strike. No way to do that gently. That said, just because you had a few fish come off doesn't necessarily mean there is anything at all wrong with your hookset. Could be the way you are fighting them, could be nothing at all. Everyone goes thru stretches when they lose fish for whatever reason. Going oh fer three isn't all that unusual for any of us. When you miss 10 in a row, get worried!

Guest Grinr
i have seen way to many times an aggressive hook set miss fish. I have always found that just a quick lift in the rod, similar to chironomid fishing does the job well, i havn't mastered that but im working on it, but i have seen another angler in our boat dial it in, its nuts.

I'm in the JBear camp whether I'm nymphing,fishing dries,or swinging wets,just a quick lift of the rod initially until I feel the weight of fish,then I always give a quik pump or two to make sure it's driven home,either right away or ASAP after the fish makes it's first run if it takes off immediately.That said,when swinging wets or streamers I think they usually impale themselves pretty good and solid as soon as they take and turn?

Guest JBear

Both times i have taken a guide on the bow, which was 4-6 years ago, we were told a lift in the rod is all that was needed. While watching the aggressive hook sets, there wasn't even a time where a fish was hooked, every time the fish was missed, but that could all be in the angler himself.

Different strokes for different folks!

I hail from ontario. So the bass masters hook set is in my blood and I can't shake it. I set it hard and still manage to catch fish.

I agree with rikr could be the way fight them or just lady luck. Keep at r and you get them to the net.

Guides will tell you not to set the hook hard to keep hooks out of their face ;)

When deep nymphing (bobber and weight), the most effective anglers I have seen set hard enough that it forms a backcast if there is no fish on. There is a lot of slack in a deep nymphing set up, and most people have a honking big worm on. Big hooks need hard sets.

That said, I'd guess you aren't putting enough pressure on the fish at first and/or your hooks aren't sharp enough.

I like to keep my hand that's holding the line low and lift up with the rod hand fairly high. This will increase the speed of your line by adding the speed of the line going through the guides to the speed of your rod tip. Also as always try to keep your line as tight as you can without affecting the natural drift of the fly and make sure your hooks are good and sharp.

Hey guys thanks alot for takin the time to give me some tips. It seems frm

What everyone is saying I think I was doing it right but I am just expecting to much for too lil time with the fly rod it was my third time using my fly rod and three good bites were I could acually feel a. Fish I must me doing something right and I'll keep pluging away at it Thanks alot guys hope t see u on the river!

Been flyfishing a good while now, went south this past weekend, hooked around 20, and landed only 2! Just the way she works out sometimes, i remember when I started I lost most of em. Stick with it, when the weather turns

and the fish are a little hungrier, the hooksets will come alot easier.