Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting In Calgary

speyghillie

Hi All.

I have a wee look at this forum and a few other forums in Canada and the US, and there seems to be very little going on, so here's a couple of questions for ya.

1 is speycasting growing in popularity in North America or is it really just the same guys ?

2 how would you make it more popular ?

In the UK most of the rivers are fly only, and Speycasting demo's are at every show in the UK, so lets here how its going and any ideas you guys have.

Thanks All.

Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i find here on the bow that it is not my goto stick but it does get a bend in it a few times a year. Im sure others are on the other side of the fence.

Since I got my Amundson WW spey 3/4 16months ago, it has been my only nymphing rig and I use it about 40% of the time for streamers - the other 60% I use my Deer Creek #6 spey.

My one hand rod only sees dries.

I am on the bow about once a week, and it is a rare day not to see others with the spey

Hi Guys,

Good to hear there are Speycasters on the Bow, it just seems very quiet on all the Canadian and US forums i have a look at, i remember years ago it seemed to becoming hugely popular in the US, but then levelled off, its difficult to tell at times .

So many of the big Speycasting UK and euroland companies will not even look for a north americian distributor because they feel there is no market there, others have dipped there toe in to the market.......... and pulled out pretty quick.

Here's a wee clip of Dec, fishing the Yokanga......... my trip for next year, turn up the volume and hopefully enjoy,

Thanks Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.

Guest Grinr

I would say from my own observations at least that the 2-handers are definitely growing in popularity on the east coast within the Atlantic salmon angling community,a trend that I think has spread eastward by way of the PNW and Great Lakes steelheader crowds?I think alot of Maritimers are jumping on the Spey wagon to take advantage of the longer casting distance achieved with relative ease compared to years of practice and experience that is generally required to throw a 100' line with a single hander,especially on the larger rivers where being able to swing a fly through more water and covering the pools more effectively can be a definite advantage.

I would guess that 10 years ago on the Miramichi for instance,it was extremely rare to see a spey rod on the river, other than in the hands of a visiting angler,usually from Europe.These days it's becoming alot more common as more locals are taking up the 2handers as they realise they can reach lies that they couldn't effectively fish in the past with a single hander.I've seen the same trend on the web forums back east that I frquent as well,where imho there is a growing interest in Spey/switch rods.

I'm sure you know better than say it is quite on the spey front in North America Gordon........ Go check out any steelhead river in the spring and fall...I'm planning on adding another Meiz to my stable so I can say it's not quite on my front...Any maybe that is why Euroland companies avoid North America... Where before Euroland had the market... Not so much today...Just my thoughts.

Hi Rightyeegs,

If you get the chance, please read what i said........... it seems quiet on the Speycasting FORUMS, not the rivers, anybody will tell you that the Speycasting section on this site was much busier not so long ago.......... might be time of year, weather or guys are just busy.

Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.

Gordon,

Agreed that this site has been quite as of late... Think most people are out plunking fish rather than fishing for them...Anyhoo... The others that I also visit seem to be business as usual. Not stirring the pot just giving a potential reason why big Speycasting Uk and euroland companies may not commit to the North American Market. And lets face it you can only beat Skagit vs Scando vs Long belly threads for so long till it get's damn right boring and people need to fish!!

I was out a few times during the winter, there are a number of guys Spey casting that I have run into. Not really high numbers but a lot more than there where say 4 years ago when I know of 3 including myself. Some of my pals who swing flies on the Bow don't post here much any more for various reasons which is a shame. And I don't post trips as much as I did but do want to try my Meiser for spring Lake Trout this year. I need to look for a short fast sinking sinking head. And of course there is the pike season. I've been exploring some non typical uses along with Trouting big waters.

Last year I had a blast on the Okanagan Lake flats catching so many large Carp in the 20 to 30 lb range I couldn't lift my arms the next day, really got a kick out of my son that picked up my Spey and promptly hooked onto a wicked Kamloops trout that took him into the backing and taped at 28".

I tend to use my Meiser Spey on the Bow for swinging streamers, and indicator nymphing which I find very much easier on my shoulders and back than double hauling, with a much longer drift than a single handler. Dry fly work of course is a different rod.

Been doing it for approx 18 yrs. At first only practiced casting on the bow in anticipation of going steel heading. There were no smaller rods that matched the bow river sized fish at that time. I started actually spey fishing it when sage came out with the 6126. Not until the last 5-6 yrs ago did I start to see people doing it on a regular basis. Guys like toolman and Maxwell got into it. They posted lots on flyfishing Calgary and people followed. Now I see Spey casters every day I am out. Problem is most aren't swinging their flys, they are nymphing. Trying to learn how to cast with three flys,split shot and an indicater.

PK

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i think the main season i dont use mine as much is i dont like the line i have and dont have the cash the get what i want.

agrees with pokerfish.

Just my 2 cents. Most spey rods are too heavy for the bow. I don't find myself enjoy fishing a 5/6wt spey rod all day. I found a 3/4 switch/spey rod is more than enough for the bow, in turns of nymphing and swinging.

The thing is, most fly shops want to sell you 5/6/7 wt spey rod, I have no idea why.

Hi All,

Good to hear the Speycasting thingy is still going strong in Calgary, the more the better i say.

420FLYFISHING....what weight line you lookin for ? , i'm sure some one must have a line kickin around they can let you use.

SilverDoctor, good to see you are still swinging....... and not sitting at the vise all the time, where were you fishing Okanagan lake for the Carp, i have spent lots of time in Vernon and seen some good spots for Carp but never had time to fish for them ?, lots out westside road at head of the lake they say, but you need a boat.

Hope your still using the Spey Staff, must try and get hold of Toolman, see how he's doing..... had some great times fishing with him on the Bow, hopefully i will get back this year on my way through to BC.

Cheers Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i fint that i use the spay for 90% streamers but i HATE striping in backing on a cast. what it the longer casting line for streamers called? Im using a 6wt Redington CPX

I THINK i am using a compact skagit right now. turns over in the wind well

Hi All,

Good to hear the Speycasting thingy is still going strong in Calgary, the more the better i say.

420FLYFISHING....what weight line you lookin for ? , i'm sure some one must have a line kickin around they can let you use.

SilverDoctor, good to see you are still swinging....... and not sitting at the vise all the time, where were you fishing Okanagan lake for the Carp, i have spent lots of time in Vernon and seen some good spots for Carp but never had time to fish for them ?, lots out westside road at head of the lake they say, but you need a boat.

Hope your still using the Spey Staff, must try and get hold of Toolman, see how he's doing..... had some great times fishing with him on the Bow, hopefully i will get back this year on my way through to BC.

Cheers Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.

Carping in Kelowna off the beaches with shallow flats like the Maude Roxy Wetland and Gyro, late in the evening. My Staff is with me everything I wade, I love it so much I never hit the river without it. It's essential tackle for me especially with the weighted bottom. Haven't talked to Greg since the FF show. See you next time you're out here.

agrees with pokerfish.

Just my 2 cents. Most spey rods are too heavy for the bow. I don't find myself enjoy fishing a 5/6wt spey rod all day. I found a 3/4 switch/spey rod is more than enough for the bow, in turns of nymphing and swinging.

The thing is, most fly shops want to sell you 5/6/7 wt spey rod, I have no idea why.

You just need to find a Spey rod that is suited for trout waters. My 4 wt Meiser rocks and even 14" trout will give me a run. Not to mention these guys

IMGP0100.jpg

You just need to find a Spey rod that is suited for trout waters. My 4 wt Meiser rocks and even 14" trout will give me a run. Not to mention these guys

Exactly. Can't agree with you more. The thing is when you walk into local fly shops, all they want to sell you is a 5 or 6wt spey.

Hi Silverdoctor,

Might try and get back with a buddy casting Instructor from House of Hardy as we head trough to BC, long way off at the moment but hopefully we can catch up.......... i will find Toolman...... at the river most likely.

The Brown Troot season has just opened on the River Spey, so a couple of warm nights when the clock goes forward and thats where i will be, some really nice streches on the Upper Spey for the Brownies, and it only costs $40.00 CND for the season, which is good for the Spey, but its not as good as the Bow thats for sure

Cheers Gordon.

Hi Silverdoctor,

Might try and get back with a buddy casting Instructor from House of Hardy as we head trough to BC, long way off at the moment but hopefully we can catch up.......... i will find Toolman...... at the river most likely.

The Brown Troot season has just opened on the River Spey, so a couple of warm nights when the clock goes forward and thats where i will be, some really nice streches on the Upper Spey for the Brownies, and it only costs $40.00 CND for the season, which is good for the Spey, but its not as good as the Bow thats for sure

Cheers Gordon.

Not many places are, we'll keep the trout and Ginnes warm for ya, and the Glenfiddich on ice.

Trying to learn how to cast with three flys,split shot and an indicater.

PK

Spool up the speydicator and your good to go plunk fish all day long......... Look on the airflo website at who designed it.... They don't even want to be named...I would'nt want to either!!!!

liek others have mentioned i think it is definetly growing every year i talk to and help more and more people looking to get into double handed stuff for various reasons. some learning to get ready for steelhead others want to swing big streamer rigs on teh bow or are looking for a long bomb streamer/nymph stick. i couldnt give exact numbers but definetly a growing past of the sport in my eyes. as far as a big surge im not too sure of that but constant growth forsure! wich is great!

Good to hear Max,

While i have only fished the Bow i noticed a nice river on my way out of Cajgary heading to Vernon BC, its on the right when you get near Castle Mountain.... i think its called, always wanted to fish it, can anybody give me some detail on it and if its worth fishing, looks great in parts you see from the road.

I will be flying back into Calgary later this year with a group of guys booked through House of Hardy, so will try and stop and fish for a day or two if i can.

Cheers Guys, ...... the weather here has been crazy, almost 20 degrees and brilliant sunshine for the next 10 days... not sure if i am in the north of Scotland.

Gordon

DTX Pro Staff.

Definitely seen a slow down in activity in the spey forum on this site. I'm always amazed at the amount of classifieds posted everyday on the speypages site haha Anyway since getting my Decho 4119 I don't think i have used my single hander on the Bow :) I am trying to figure out how to swing flies properly and am starting to see a more success. I agree with eric about not needing more than a 3/4 wt spey for the Bow, but maybe i'm biased because i've only ever fished my 4wt. Anyone want to lend me a bigger rod haha Plus I need practice for steelheading!!

Edit: After reading Maxwells river condition report about 6"+ sculpins I take back my comment on a 3/4wt.

6" Weighted Sculpin + T11 sinktip = bigger rod required (in no way is this a bad thing!!)

u got it dude only reason i like my 12' 7wt for the bow is for bigger flies dont need anything more than a ype 3 tip right now but to push some big bugs u need a heavier line.. if its just little leeches n such my switch is my go to~!

Good to hear Max,

I take it the Bow river runs past Castle Mountain on the road out of town, so looking for some info on the river there and i know you fish out of town alot, is it possible to fish the river there ? is it any good, and can you fish it all year round ?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated, as i will be over with a good friend and House of Hardy casting Instructor and it would be cool to stop for a day and fish that part of the river if possible.

Cheers Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.