Fly Fusion Forums

Vises,which Do You Use......

Flytyer

Being that new names are showing up in the tying section all the time I thought it might be of some use to start a thread about vises. This could be of use and interest to those starting out or looking to upgrade to another vise to get first hand input from us here and to ask more questions about vises of particular interest.

The main theme for this will be :

What vise do you use now? what do you like or dislike about it?

I personally use a Norvise exclusively now. I like the fact it has 4 different vise heads available: standard jaw, large jaw, fine point jaw and a tube fly head. I also like that fact that it spins in line which is really neat for dubbing, makes the process much quicker. Probably the biggest drawback most people will find with this vise is the cost but it's not the most expensive vise on the market.

One more thing about it is the fact it does take time to get used to using one.

I've got a Renzetti and a cheap Integra. I use the Renzetti for my dries, nymphs, and small streamers. I use the Integra for my large streamers and pike flies. I would recommend the Renzetti but not the Integra. I bought the Integra for all my flies but a little piece of the jaws broke off. It doesn't affect it's use for large streamers so I held on to it and bought the Renzetti for all the other flies. The Renzetti too has a second set of jaws you can get for larger flies (some models come with that one and you need to purchase the smaller jaws for the little stuff).

Renzetti Traveler. I swapped out the original screw jaws for the cam lock. I could use the rotary feature more than I do.

I didn't know you could get cam lock jaws instead of the screw jaws. I'll have to look into that more. I like cam jaws better. Thanks!

I personally use a Norvise exclusively now. I like the fact it has 4 different vise heads available: standard jaw, large jaw, fine point jaw and a tube fly head. I also like that fact that it spins in line which is really neat for dubbing, makes the process much quicker. Probably the biggest drawback most people will find with this vise is the cost but it's not the most expensive vise on the market.

One more thing about it is the fact it does take time to get used to using one.

I don't tie yet but I will. The dubbing video on their website sold me! Does it work that well in real life?

Griffin Montans Mongoose. I've tied nearly 10,000 flies and it's still like brand new. Under 200, comes with a hard case and a couple tools. Before that it was an HMH Pro Vise, A Griffin Odyssey, Griffin Spyder, and a couple Thompsom A style cheapie to start on.

Having used ultra cheapos for years and have now invested in a Peak Rotary, I can see where I went wrong. The Peak is a great mid range vice that is well engineered and not too expensive either. Should suit my needs for the foreseeable future, I would guess.

Peak Vice Review

This is a review of the vice I did for our Forum across the pond.

I don't tie yet but I will. The dubbing video on their website sold me! Does it work that well in real life?

Actually yes it does. But let me tell you this if you can try one out do so there are guys that got one and got rid of them almost as fast as they bought them because they are far different than any other vise out . Perhaps in your case it may not be that way being you haven't started yet but still I would suggest trying one first if possible. It's been said there is no middle ground with this vise either you love or it.....I love mine so much I have 2 that I always use.

Hello all, I've been tying on a Renzttti Traveler for about six years adn really love it, it's the cam style. I started tying on a Universe rotary (one of the first rotaries) in the early 60's and used that for about 20 years. Still use it occasionally. Owned and tied on a Regal vice for a couple of years. Not a rotary but certainly on of the most solid vices I ever tied on. My son decided it was his. The peak is an really good looking vice and I mat pick one up. I'm also looking at a Nor Vice. They have a few new features I like teh look of like the new tapered jaws.Always wanted on and with the us and Canadian dollar the way it is is has become affordable.

Have a couple of other ones. It is funny that guys may have a dozen fly rods but often only have one vice. I often use a second vice to hold a Steelhead or salmon fly I am working on over time. One thing I do own by Nor is their excellent Automatic Bobbin. I love it and will be buying a second.

I have an Anvil Atlas. It is a rotary version of the Apex. Better clearance than the peak, similar price range and quality. I used to use a regal knock-off, and I miss the spring action. The Cam is a bit fiddly. I would go a bit beyond mid range if I bought again, but I doubt I will for a long time. It is a solid vice.

Actually yes it does. But let me tell you this if you can try one out do so there are guys that got one and got rid of them almost as fast as they bought them because they are far different than any other vise out . Perhaps in your case it may not be that way being you haven't started yet but still I would suggest trying one first if possible. It's been said there is no middle ground with this vise either you love or it.....I love mine so much I have 2 that I always use.

Yes I was reading in another forum that there's a bit of a learning curve to using the Nor-Vise, especially if you're converting from a conventional rig. I think I might be at an advantage since I don't have any habits. You think this thing will be at the fly fishing show in January?

Yes I was reading in another forum that there's a bit of a learning curve to using the Nor-Vise, especially if you're converting from a conventional rig. I think I might be at an advantage since I don't have any habits. You think this thing will be at the fly fishing show in January?

I don't think Norm will be here in January. Perhaps Chris Bird might look into having him come in some year but that is his call to make. I'm sure one of the local shops carrying this vise will be there though.

i have 3 vices with additional jaws for 2 of them, bases and c-clamp style for 2

and i have no idea what any of them are.. but they work

......and that is ask we ask of a vice if we really admit the truth.

The rest is just ego massaging and one upmanship, saying that, if anyone was to drop a LAW on my lap, I would not object!

Have to add to my list of vises. Just picked up a Nor-Vise from Dave at fishtails. I've admired them for years and decided to treat myself. Thanks Dave. some of us tend to collect a new vise every now and again but you do have to remember that all it does in the end is hold the fly hook. There are brands that people prefer but the quality among major makers now is great. Even a lot of the "knock off's" are pretty good, but not as good quality as a major brand. A solid vice should last a lifetime.

If a vise can't hold the hook it's pretty much garbage. Some inexpensive vises tend to be made of soft metal that will crack, break or will get grooves in the jaws over time. They should also be solid and tight with no wiggle or play. It should sit on your tying area in a solid manner. Whether it is a clamp type or pedistll.

Don't be shy about applying the "try before you buy rule". Most fly shops out there will let you play with a couple of models if you are a serious buyer. Ask the shop first of course. Talk to other tiers and take your time before purchasing. Just because a vice is the most popular at the moment doesn't mean it will suit you. If you are new to tying try something simple at first. Or go and take some lessons with someone who will provide tools and materials. No sense laying out a few hundred dollars on a vise and find you don't really tie much, or don't like to do it. You can buy a lot of flies for the price of some of setting yourself up in the hobby.

Some of the old classic tiers never used a vise. Carrie Stevens a revered producer of classic streamer patterns never used one. I've seen a few who tie Atlantic Salmon flies by hand adn do a stunning job. I've often used other tools in a pinch to hold a hook when I am on a trip and don't have access to my portable kit. Pliers with a few elastic bands will work. Another great little items in a pinch is an X=Acto Knife. The chuck makes a great hook holder and I carry one in my kit to hold a hook like a third hand. Great when you eyes get experienced and you need a steady platform to tie leaders to small flies.

Well I got to rambling a bit here. Guess I should gather these thoughts together and post an article.