Fly Fusion Forums

An Amazing Catch

reevesr1

I've been fishing a long time, and I've had the pleasure of spending time with some pretty impressive fishermen in my day. And while I by no means I had thought I had seen it all, I would never have expected that I would see this. All of us can catch fish when they are feeding actively. Many of us can catch fish when they are a bit lethargic. All of us know people who seem to be able to coerce even the most reluctant fish to bite. But ever met anyone who has hooked and landed a dead burbot? I have. Ladies and gentlemen, fisherman du mort, Troutlover and his dead burbot. And he was hooked very near the mouth. Damnedest thing Ive ever seen. I actually said when he was reeling in what looked like a stick "that thing fights like a Burbot." How right I was!

deadburbot.jpg

troutlover,

Sure like to know what killed it. Burbot are about the toughest fish that lives in Alberta. Recall my first encounter <>50 years ago on the Sheep. Was fishing salmon eggs and hooked this thing. Finally dragged it up on dry land and was frankly a little spooked. Never seen something that ugly. Whacked on it for a while in an attempt to kill the damn thing and get my hook back. Finally drove a stick through it's head and left it there after cutting off my hook. Came back hours later and the thing was still alive. Finally dispatched it.

Another time I was fishing in the winter and brought home a sack full of burbot that had laid in the pickup box for 2>6 hours. They were frozen solid. Left them downstairs for gutting/fileting while I had supper. Some time later my wife yells out "there's something in the basement". The burbot had thawed and now were looking for a escape hatch. Slithering all over the floor.

Tough beast - wonder what killed this one?

Don

troutlover,

Recall my first encounter <>50 years ago on a Sheep. Never seen something that ugly. Whacked on it for a while. Came back hours later and the thing was still alive. Finally dispatched it. Some time later my wife yells

Don

You did what to a Sheep? :whistle: