Fly Fusion Forums

Crowsnest Fishing And Camping Bear Safety

Cripe Mike, I've been known to be a tad gassy at times, I like my burritos with extra refried beans but, methane wise, it ain't all that bad... hell I can eat chimichangas all day long with no problem at all

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I" have something to prove??WOW!!..???

I merely stated that a .454 is perty damn good bear medicine.

It would appear to me that the only posters here suffering from lil big man syndrome that feel compelled to prove themselves to the forum would be Hawghumpa and Tacobreath?

For instance,Hawg,in his infinite wisdom recommends waiting until a charging grizzly is within 10' before squirting off his load? Man,that takes some REAL stones!!No doubt even Chuck Norris himself would think twice of messing with a man of such intestinal fortitude?:rolleyes:Please,do tell,where can I purchase some of this miraculous,instant brick wall Death Ray bear spray that stops 800lb freight trains in their tracks??

...and the Taco...what can I say there but just simply "WOW!" ??Judging by his overawhelming compulsion to overcompensate for obvious shortcomings,one can only assume that his "life partner" must be extremely frustrated?Without knowing a single thing about me or my 35+ years of extensive

hunting,angling,trapping and guiding experience,he somehow is able to ascertain that he's melted more barrels than I've owned??A wee bit presumptuous perhaps?He buys gunpowder by the keg and prints sub MOA groups all

day.WOW!! No doubt the entire forum and even Jack O'Connor himself would probably be impressed........I'm not.

:rolleyes: Amazingly,despite his no doubt encyclopedic-like knowledge in regards to

woodsmanship,hunting,ballistics,optics,and all things firearms,Taco still falls apart at the mere sight of a trophy head and by his own admission can't seem to hit the south end of a north bound moose?Ya know,it really is a shame that

trophy bucks and bulls generally don't stand still while one micro-adjusts one's bench vise,lol.

Whatever....I digress.I have no desire to get into a pissing match with you over rifles since I honestly find centerfire rifle hunting somewhat akin to childsplay,and i have pretty much given up the centerfires in favor of the far more challenging pursuits of hunting big game with bows and traditional muzzleloaders over the last 2 decades.That's ok though,everybody has to start somewhere,as did I.There's no shame I'm clinging to your training wheels until you are confident in your ability to routinely take trophies,maybe then you'll be ready to come out and play with the big boys and get up close and personal to your quarry?

1500 days in the big bad bear woods??Good for you son...you just keep at'er in in and in no time,say 5-10 years tops(?) you'll have just about half as many days afield as I do.

As for the rest of you self proclaimed bear experts,most of whom admit that they've only had a small handful of non-threatening bear encounters over 20 years give or take,might i suggest you visit any one of several Alaskan hunting forums where some of the world's REAL expert bear guides frequent and suggest to them how silly and paranoid they are backing up their clients with hard hitting elephant stopping calibers when all they really need is a $30 can of pepper spray that stops charging grizzlies in their tracks at 10 ft.,ROFLMAO!!Better yet,spend a few seasons guiding bowhunters to hunt cute and fuzzy,harmless lil black bears.Come back and talk to me after you get a few years of guiding under your belt where you've spent 6 months of each year maintaining 20+ bait sites solo,been treed by more than a few

ornery blackies,been challenged and chased away from bait sites by overly aggressive bruins,or sat in a tree until dark thirty on many occasions with up to 1/2 dozen jaw popping,woofing,hungry bears milling around and nothing but a pointy stick on a string and a flashlight to defend yourself on the half hour hike in the dark back to your truck......yea...talk to me then.If there's one thing I learned from my years of bear guiding,it's that the only thing predictable about bears is that they are unpredictable.

Yes Tacofarts and Hawgbreath,it's now quite obvious to me that I couldn't possibly have nearly the amount of outdoors

experience as you two bonafide Jeremiah Johnsons,what with my lowly little 8 forum posts and all.My mistake was failing to acknowledge the universal Internet truth that equates forum post counts directly to one's level of expertise.With your combined 7000+ posts between you,no doubt there isn't any possibility that I could be anywhere near as knowledgeable as you two Internet Einsteins....my only question is who is your satellite communications provider,because with so many posts combined with such a vast wealth of outdoor experience,surely you must be simulcasting live from the field,yes?I mean,how else would it be possible for you to gain so much experience while at the same time asserting your high level of expertise to the cyber world so frequently?

Awesome, another professional!! Whats that make about 3500 of us, woowee!! :) lol.

Well the internet hero talking about needing weapons for bears has been a HUNTING guide for years, and uses BAIT to bring in bears. OF COURSE they will be pissy around a kill or a percieved kill, you'd better be packing in that instance, no duh!!!

What you can't wrap your big fat head around (because it's so full or non-relevant info) is that we are talking harmless encounters on stream here, NOT WHILE HUNTING / SHOOTING / BAITING for bear.....

and you obviously have not fired a can of bear spray before. Do it at more than 10 or so feet and you WILL MISS. I'd rather be run over by a bawling bear sprayed 800lb griz, than miss it. And yes, I've stood in front of several bear charges, and the closest one got while charging was about 25ft. Never used the spray. And the closest I've ever been to one was being sniffed and slobbered on. Don't talk to me about how to handle bear encounters like I know nothing.

Hey Guys,

Entertaining thread. Just thought I should let you know that the Harper government has put a new law on the books: a 3 year minimum sentence for the possession of a loaded handgun. Grinr, I personally support your decision to protect yourself in bear county (although I personally wouldn't go so far), but unfortunately the government doesn't. Canada is silly with our draconian gun laws, but I wouldn't chance my freedom with carrying around a loaded handgun for protection.

Hey Guys,

Entertaining thread. Just thought I should let you know that the Harper government has put a new law on the books: a 3 year minimum sentence for the possession of a loaded handgun. Grinr, I personally support your decision to protect yourself in bear county (although I personally wouldn't go so far), but unfortunately the government doesn't. Canada is silly with our draconian gun laws, but I wouldn't chance my freedom with carrying around a loaded handgun for protection.

Say what you want about our gun laws but at least we try something at the very least. Our government is trying to keep the guns off the streets and out of the criminals hands. At least its something, look at the USA, everybody buy a gun and protect yourself "hurray I get to shoot someone and claim self defense" say what you want at least its an effort, the number of gun crimes and deaths compared to other countries like the USA is a telling story, just sayin!

I fear any state that has a complete monopoly on firearms. At some point we have to realize that our government can't protect us from all harm, and, being law-abiding citizens, we should have a right to own potentially dangerous tools.

Moreover, guns only facilitate an intent. Without that intent (and with a responsible owner) a gun is harmless--just in the same way that vehicles have the potential to kill dozens of people (if the intent is there), but they are useful and relatively safe providing its owner is responsible. And we all know criminals don't follow laws, so legislation isn't going to protect you from those determined lunatics who want to hurt people.

We're now completely off topic, lol.

I fear any state that has a complete monopoly on firearms. At some point we have to realize that our government can't protect us from all harm, and, being law-abiding citizens, we should have a right to own potentially dangerous tools.

Moreover, guns only facilitate an intent. Without that intent (and with a responsible owner) a gun is harmless--just in the same way that vehicles have the potential to kill dozens of people (if the intent is there), but they are useful and relatively safe providing its owner is responsible. And we all know criminals don't follow laws, so legislation isn't going to protect you from those determined lunatics who want to hurt people.

We're now completely off topic, lol.

Well said I couldn't agree more.