Fly Fusion Forums

Orivs Hydros

darrinhurst

Hello all.

I have some cash from Christmas that I am looking to spend on some fishing gear. Combined with some bonus money saved up, I have my eye on a 9'6" 6wt Hydros on Ebay that I can pick up for under $400 shipped.

Never held or cast this rod and with it being an Ebay purchase, I don't have a way where I can.

Looking for opinions on the rod to see if anyone has had any experience with it. Good? Bad? Thoughts?

Thanks for the input guys.

Darrin

Darrin,

Head to CPs and chuck one there as they are the local dealer (though cats out of the bag if they have read this post with knowing you aren't going to purchase it there ;)). Also, Murray has one (though in a 9' - I'm prettysure, not sure of the wt) that I'm sure he would let you chuck (not sure if it's a tip flex or mid flex). As well Rob (Pipestoneflyguy) out in Lake Louise has one (in a 9', as well I'm pretty sure again don't know the wt off hand) but that's a bit of a drive...

Nice stick, but I hear (read) they are pretty fragile!!

P

Country pleasures only has a nine weight left I think. It's been discontinued. I considered buying this rod but decided against it. You may want to check out the Orvis Access, it's also a very light rod and cheaper than the Hydros or Helios at only around $350. I haven't casted it, but I know CP has it and I've heard from a couple of guys that it casts pretty well (tip-flex version)

I do believe that the Hydros is discontinued. If I'm not mistaken, it was replaced by the Helios?

I considered the Access, but it doesn't come in a 9'6", which is what I am looking for as my nymph rod. Currently have a 9'0" Sage Launch 6wt that I use. Looking to get that extra 6" for nymphing.

Also considering ordering a Sage Flight in the 9'6" as well.

EDIT: My mistake, it looks like the Access DOES come in a 9'6". Now I have even more options......dammit!

I've held a few 10' and 9'6 rods and there much more then a 9' in weight.I just got a 10' i dropped down to a 4 wt so it feels more like a 5 wt to me.You should really cast one first a 9' 6 and see if you like it.i was disappointed when i first cast a 10' 6wt that i bought it was more like an 8 wt.