Fly Fusion Forums

Casting Video

wongrs

Similar to what Simon Gawesworth refers to as a 'Turbo Spey cast' with a singlehand rod. He's basically doing a 'Snakeroll' (whether it be a single, double or triple) with a haul at the end. On the first cast in the video he is allowing the line to touch the water to load the cast before shooting. There are a lot of 2 handed casts that can be applied to singlehand casting, it is all practice, practice, practice. I use 'snakerolls', single spey, snap-t, circle-c, double spey casts all the time when fishing with my singlehand rods, I'll admit i don't try to be as 'fancy' as the gentleman on the video, but the casts do work well in different situations.

Colin

Exactly...I was'nt going to mention it, but since DDF brough it up, this video is just a guy practising a bunch of stuff and bieng a little messy on the water. He likely does'nt even have a fly on the line and he would not catch many fish bieng that sloppy. I like to make good "fishing casts", like a single spey and try to keep it nice and clean on the pick up and mend, with a brief, short anchor that is placed well away from the strike zone. I have little interest in the circus tricks that look pretty impressive when put together, but it's kind of like a larriot show at a rodeo, versus a real cowboy working the range with his rope.

Can't argue with you on that TM but I will admit to messing around alot like that this summer (after I am finished actually fishing the water I'm in though) - Its not to show-off or anything like that (No ones watching anyway), its just my way of trying to improve two aspects of my one handed spey casting - 1) one thing is getting the timing of the forward cast as tight as possible with the tag touch down - I find when I am looking down at the tag I tend to get sloppy on presentation and accuracy - I would like to practice until I can do this blind and get the timing perfect which ties into reason 2, which is getting rid of the habit of overloading which comes as a result of too much elapsed time between touch down and forward cast in my case. I suppose the actual placement of the tag is a distraction as well - although what he is doing may not catch fish It can hone skills which prove effective when isolated and cleaned up as a single cast - shooting line like that with a typical WF line is not that hard when all the components of the spey are performed perfectly. I think most of the members here would be surprised at how easy it is to look like that if you commit a couple hours to practicing those moves - the snake roll is a little tough to get right, but the rest of it is really quite simple. - it was after watching ( being mezmorized) by Dan doing this at the first spey class that I started devoting 10 to 15 minutes at the end of each session to practicing these techniques all linked together. maybe its all fluff but It sure seems like my casting has improved as a result.

I have been doing a lot of that stuff just for fun most of the time (and I imagine pretty poorly)..... I find that little of the really fancy stuff is used much when actually fishing but sometimes the more basic ones like the snake roll, single spey, snaps and stuff can be really handy.....I like working on some of the fancier ones just because it makes the simpler ones feel even easier when they are needed while fishing..... This style keeps the fly on the water.. I would have to say an enourmous % of the casts that I make are roll or spey casts. Keeps me more outta the water and allows you to approach fish differently then if you were wanting to overhead cast..... As Brent mentioned he was likely using a shooting line but a regular line can produce very similar casts but with a bit less distance......

Not true weedy I took a girl out the other night..... never heard of fly fishing before but of course I brought it up (idiot I know)..... she wanted to see how it worked yadayada so we go out to the lake and I punch a couple overheads, couple rolls, couple continuous action casts, a few snake rolls, double speys ect trying to show off right..... I hand her the rod and she pumps a 30-35 foot overhead perfectly first try.... I strip a bit hand it back to her to shoot some line poof she drops about a 40 footer turns to me and says "man don't you get bored doing this"....... That was our last date

Owch. Maybe you should tell her that you can cook & see what happens.

Always wait til the second date before you tell them you can cook. 25 years ago when I first started in the business I never told anyone I cooked, now with The Food Network its cool to be a chef, who'd a thunk?

Another lesson learned over the years never base a relationship on fly fishing sooner or later she will become better than you, make you look bad in front of all your friends, buy her own (better) gear, meet some guide dump you and move on (just because he knows all the good steelhead runs on the Kispiox). No I'm not bitter, I've moved on, really I have. :P

Colin

Guest Rocknbugs
Exactly...I was'nt going to mention it, but since DDF brough it up, this video is just a guy practising a bunch of stuff and bieng a little messy on the water. He likely does'nt even have a fly on the line and he would not catch many fish bieng that sloppy. I like to make good "fishing casts", like a single spey and try to keep it nice and clean on the pick up and mend, with a brief, short anchor that is placed well away from the strike zone. I have little interest in the circus tricks that look pretty impressive when put together, but it's kind of like a larriot show at a rodeo, versus a real cowboy working the range with his rope.

It looks neat and the guy is having fun, relax. I think we all know that he is not actually fishing (sorry I mean working the range LOLOL) at this point he is just putting on a show and having some fun with his ability. But thanks for letting us know that you think this guy is a clown.

Another lesson learned over the years never base a relationship on fly fishing sooner or later she will become better than you, make you look bad in front of all your friends, buy her own (better) gear, meet some guide dump you and move on (just because he knows all the good steelhead runs on the Kispiox). No I'm not bitter, I've moved on, really I have. :P

Colin

45aug29-the-meaning-of-abcs.jpg