Fly Fusion Forums

Sturgeon On The South Saskatchewan River(updated May9/12)

SteveM

I got invited out for a day of sturgeon fishing a couple weeks ago. I had never caught or even seen a sturgeon before, so I jumped at the chance.

I headed East & met up with Dale & Wayne, followed them to the launch on the SSR...

Following Dale's boat to the river...

pa150840.jpg

Beautiful scenery down that way; seems fitting to fish for dinosaurs in this prehistoric setting...

pa150842.jpg

pa150836.jpg

pa150825.jpg

pa150826.jpg

Some nasty black clouds went through the area...

pa150829.jpg

Dale & Wayne wait for a bite...

pa150827.jpg

Fall colors...

pa150830.jpg

Dale caught a couple suckers, a sauger, & this small sturgeon...

pa150824.jpg

pa150823.jpg

(more to come...)

I got to feel a sturgeon on the line when I reeled in this little one...

pa150833.jpg

pa150831.jpg

pa150832.jpg

Wayne got the best of the day; a quick measurement said 52 inches...

bigsturge.jpg

pa150821copy.jpg

This fish ain't gonna win no beauty contests, for sure; but, they sure as hell fight hard!!!

pa150822copy.jpg

Can't wait to do it again in the spring; there's a 60 incher out there waiting for me...

Cool, dinosaur fishing! Kind of fitting for an "experienced" fellow like yourself. Always fun to try something new.

Veeerrry fuuunnnny...

If it wasn't already past my bedtime, I'd come to your house & hit you with my cane!

Cool man. Next thing you know you'll be walleye fishing with me and get completely crucified.

Walleye fishing?

Me??

Never!!!

pa080806.jpg

pa080808.jpg

melookinatulookinatme.jpg

p9240752.jpg

p9120722.jpg

p5150070.jpg

...I mean....never AGAIN....(maybe :angel:smail: )

Back to the original topic.

Looks like you had a awsome trip I have friends in BC that do stergon every year and hopefully one day I can make it down there to join them.

Not knowing much about stergon fishin but everything I have heard is that bait fishin for them is the best way, can you catch them on a fly (I know Doc caught one on the bow on a fly but that is a very rare thing)

• 6 months later...

Sturgeon update: on Wednesday(May 9th), I joined my buddy, Dale, for another day of chasing these magnificent fish on the South Saskatchewan River near Medicine Hat. Another friend(Bill) joined us for the day. We landed a couple walleye, a whole bunch of suckers(I landed 2 at once at one point) and 11 sturgeon between 3 of us. Here are some pics from the day...

Bill landed his first ever sturgeon...

p5090334.jpg

They have some cool, intricate patterns when you look close...

p5090335.jpg

p5090355.jpg

p5090362.jpg

Gotta handle the little ones carefully, or you'll get poked fulla holes...

p5090361.jpg

The suckers down there are much prettier than the ones we see on the Bow, and they aren't covered in that snotty, nasty, slime...

p5090341.jpg

p5090338.jpg

Well, I guess they're only "pretty" from the gills down...

p5090358.jpg

p5090342v.jpg

Some of 'em get pretty big...

p5090356.jpg

...but, we weren't hunting suckers...(continued...)

We were hunting these guys...

p5090351.jpg

p5090353.jpg

p5090378.jpg

Finally, I had one of those "moments" that Rickr talks about. I had a very subtle bite & set the hook, expecting another sucker or small sturgeon.

Wrong. As I reeled down, my rod tip kept getting closer to the water, but the fish was NOT coming up! In a "moment", I knew I was hooked into the biggest fish of my life!

p5090365.jpg

I was using 50lb braid + 40lb leader & cranked that fish 'til I was worried about breaking my rod, and it still took 15 minutes to get him to the boat.

Man, these fish are powerful!!! What a blast!

Eventually, I got him to where Dale could tail him & hoist him into the boat...(you can probably tell from his grin just how much Dale enjoys helping a friend land the biggest fish of his life; he is a class act!)

p5090366.jpg

p5090367.jpg

My 4 foot sturgeon...

p5090370.jpg

...and, back you go...

p5090373.jpg

p5090371.jpg

End of a fun day with a couple great guys; heading back up to the boat launch...

p5090385.jpg

I know it ain't fly fishing, but it sure was fun catching such a big, strong fish. I would have thought that a fish that size would have been fairly easy to land on such heavy tackle; not so much- these dinosaurs fight HARD! Going back for more on Saturday...

Right on, good stuff... Congrats on your big Sturgey.... I cant wait to get back at er', the power of those big Sturgeon is amazing..... Nice to see the Sturgeon makin a come back.... We got lotsa small ones last year as well... I started Sturgeon fishin last year with some guys that have been doin it for years, and they say they have never caught so many small Sturgeon as of the last three years, so thats a good thing.... Catch and release Regs sure have helped these Sturgeon make a come back in the SSR... Thanx for the report and pics...

Cheers... Jeff..

Right on, good stuff... Congrats on your big Sturgey.... I cant wait to get back at er', the power of those big Sturgeon is amazing..... Nice to see the Sturgeon makin a come back.... We got lotsa small ones last year as well... I started Sturgeon fishin last year with some guys that have been doin it for years, and they say they have never caught so many small Sturgeon as of the last three years, so thats a good thing.... Catch and release Regs sure have helped these Sturgeon make a come back in the SSR... Thanx for the report and pics...

Cheers... Jeff..

Yeah, it was a blast. I watched my buddy land that 52"er last fall, so I knew they fought hard, but it doesn't really sink in 'til you hook a good one yourself.

I can't imagine what an 80lber would feel like on the end of the line!

Later in the summer the goldeye will move into the area we fish & start feeding actively; I'll definitely bring along the fly rod & have a bit of fun...

Awesome Steve! Congrats on your 4 foot fish. The river valley down there is such an interesting place to spend a day.

Yeah, it's beautiful down there; like another world. :thumbup:

Two of Dale's buddies camped down there from Tues-Friday. I watched one of 'em relocate a pretty big bull snake out of their camp; plenty of rattlers down that way, too.