Fly Fusion Forums

Perserving Cutthroats

jayhad's suggestion/belief that spending money/efforts on Cuts would be a great idea.

SO

Let's make a list of anything that should/could be done.

Pie thinking is the sky thinking is good and no idea should be seen as farfetched.

For me there are only a few things that will permanently kill fish.

Disease and lack of water.

So the items on my list would include:

* All anglers must disinfect their waders to prevent disease. Foreign anglers would have their wading gear confiscated @ the borders and have it returned when they leave.

* Removal of water from possible cutthroat bearing streams would be illegal

catch ya'

Don

I agree.

I fish mainly stream holding native cutt, and I have never been controled once in the past 4 years...

I have found fish in all water where I was supposed to though. I think it s encouraging, there is still good numbers outhere.

More money spent on enforcement would be a good start. It's as good as non-existant.

there is still good numbers outhere.

Compared to what? 4 yrs ago? 9? 15? I know one thing for sure, there are fewer cutthroat streams and cutthroat now than there was when I started to fish for them 47 yrs ago.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i am down for way more SRD officers! I have not been checked once and have made over $1000 this year on RAP on the bow river alone!

I beilieve that money should be spent in education rather then enforcement. There are some people that are just plain ignorant (they really do not mean to and will change if told informed, however this does not mean no fines or warnings.) of the regs or come from a diffrent provice that think their regs are the same here. Education can be a powerful tool if used in the right way such as signs. I know people say oh they will just get ripped down, but the signs for the rock snot has done wonderful and in my opion brought alot of attention to the issue it is addressing.

Enforcement really is not the kep imo as I took a barb fine of $200 cause the c.o placed his the hook against his thumb and could see a gap. Now I showed him all my other hooks and he tested a bunch and said it sucked to be me using that hook at that momment. Technically he was right but why not put a written warning on the licence?

And 420 u want more money to SRD, why not give that $1000 back to SRD I have called in a bunch and never took a signal dime. I say throw away the reward and use the money instead for the programs.

Enforcement really is not the kep imo as I took a barb fine of $200 cause the c.o placed his the hook against his thumb and could see a gap. Now I showed him all my other hooks and he tested a bunch and said it sucked to be me using that hook at that momment. Technically he was right but why not put a written warning on the licence?

I think I would have taken that one to court.

Their is a huge difference between barbed and bumped. "Bumped" has a bump---- like when you flatten the barb so the sharp pointy barb no longer angles upwards and eliminates the hook being held in the fish, but there is still a smooth bump and not completely flat. Pictures would confirm the difference between barbed and no barb but has a bump. That guy was overzealous was all. I probably have several like that too.

It's deja vu all over again, I thought I all ready posted on this thread before? How about being on topic. May be we could create some unnatural natural barriers and try to work above them, draw a line in the sand. For example I noticed the Rainbow infestation of the upper Castle's accelerated greatly after the extreme high water in 95 blasted the Castle Falls allowing easier up stream migration. Just dreaming out loud.

It's deja vu all over again, I thought I all ready posted on this thread before? How about being on topic. May be we could create some unnatural natural barriers and try to work above them, draw a line in the sand. For example I noticed the Rainbow infestation of the upper Castle's accelerated greatly after the extreme high water in 95 blasted the Castle Falls allowing easier up stream migration. Just dreaming out loud.

The unknown moderator(s) perhaps, the dweeb(s) likes to rearrange..

Man-made barriers are expensive but workable. So are electrofishing, stream poisoning and ultimately stream closures specifically if the population slide continues it's current trend. Official population assessments are ongoing and there are more pure strain westslopes left than most here seem to be think but they are at the extreme periphery of their range and living conditions. IMO the population has declined for all the traditional reasons, industrial, agricultural and poor fishery mindsets but I believe I've seen an accelerated encroachment in certain waters since the wholesale spread of the catch and release "ethic", the extreme unwillingness of the vast majority of flyfishers to kill any fish what so ever and to hold all trout in equal respect. Hell, I was one of them for a time.

tacos right.. but the battle is lost.. i think rainbows will take over by the time im his age ;) and if we want too keep numbers up we need to resrtic the number of angling days.. some stretches i use to hammer fish dont have many not because they are smarter they just dont live there any more.. even now were i can check the winter holes and get a good idea on fish per km i just dont see the same fish schooling up. cutties are native but they are gullable and numbers are dropping imho due to over fishing and handling each season then whats left the following year mixes with the rainbows and the fish are further dilluted.. some are still around but to truly preserve them would be to stop angling for them altogether and having river keepers go through and murder all the ones who are un pure..

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what about openign up the keep rates on no natives? start treating rainbows and browns like brookies, if they are all introduced then who cares...unless your a sizist lol

Seriously? You show up now but not when we were having an 8 page discussion about how to raise funds and protect fish? Disease and 'lack of water' haha, what are you gonna do, stand at the top of the oldman with a garden hose? I got an idea for you Don, leave it to the people who know what the hell they're talking about.

Ah PGK,

You been drinking again?

Don

Compared to what? 4 yrs ago? 9? 15? I know one thing for sure, there are fewer cutthroat streams and cutthroat now than there was when I started to fish for them 47 yrs ago.

Can't disagree with you more. The fishing for Cutthroat in the province as a whole is far better now than it was in the 70's and eighties. The Highwood and it's tribs are a great example of that.

Can't disagree with you more. The fishing for Cutthroat in the province as a whole is far better now than it was in the 70's and eighties. The Highwood and it's tribs are a great example of that.

What about Allison, Drywood, Spionkop, Yarrow, Mill, Gladstone, Willow and Trout?

So in otherwords Brook trout are crowding out the cutties ?

You make the claim that cutty fishing better than it has been in yrs, I'm saying there's less or even no cutthroat left in those particular streams and I know there was at least some cutts 30 yrs ago. I probably could triple the size of that list given time and the inclination.

You make the claim that cutty fishing better than it has been in yrs, I'm saying there's less or even no cutthroat left in those particular streams and I know there was at least some cutts 30 yrs ago. I probably could triple the size of that list given time and the inclination.

So why not send the Biologist a solution to have those streams restored to what they were in the past.

You may know those waters better than they do.

Way off topic or may be not. May be we could hold the people responsible that are dividing up our tax dollars. We have fund raisers for far to many things that should be the responsibility of Government. School's, Hospitals, and Fisheries Enforcement come to mind. We have expertise hired to make tough decisions that should be in the best interests of us all, its still up to our elected officials to set a direction. Bleep the Bull Trout long live the Mcleod Rainbows.

Seems like a lot of people have a knee-jerk "enforcement will fix it" mentality. Ever heard of the "more cops make more criminals" arguement? It seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. Just trying to make y'all feel a little better because more enforcement just ain't ever gonna happen!