Fly Fusion Forums

Raw Trout/char

Jayhad

there are tonnes of info out there saying you shouldn't eat raw freshwater fish. but there is some info that states you can do it if you are aware of parasites, and searching for them in the flesh.

Any one done this..... I want to whack a bully next week and turn him into sashimi

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

look out side the box guys, you can wack a bully in other provinces....Jay back in ONT it is really easy to see the parasites, usually black or grayish and about 2 or 3mm.

hope this helps

Lotsa spawnin' brookies around right now, they taste pretty good breaded and fried. I have no idea what they taste like raw, may hafta think about that the next time I thump another 20 or 30.

Lotsa spawnin' brookies around right now, they taste pretty good breaded and fried. I have no idea what they taste like raw, may hafta think about that the next time I thump another 20 or 30.

The big Brookies up in Fortress Lake taste mighty good raw...

Hey Jayhad,

Talk to sundancefisher. I think he knows quite a bit about eating trout raw.

He had a thread on another forum asking about a fish that he wants to try and others that he has already tried raw.

Nate

Hey

Think it all depends on your digestive system. I've been to Japan, and, believe me, you'd be amazed at the variety of raw fish/meat they eat. Mind you, many of their food poisonings result from eating raw fish. Not sure the water quality is a definitive indicator - but it helps. Sometimes fish can pick up toxins from its own body when it is being cleaned. Be careful. Try it, but don't blame anyone here if you barf up your spleen.

Cheers

Okay i will take it your just joking right ?

Maybe not, there are alot of people here who want to eliminate brook trout altogether.They are an evasive species eating the food the native trout need and dont usually grow all that big in the streams or brooks because of the over population. They are a very nice looking fish though.

No jokes. See the MIA signature below? Thats how many brook trout I killed one stream in 5 trips this summer and early fall, last time in I was specifically targeting spawning brook trout for maximum impact. Why? Brook trout have completely expatriated the bull trout from this particular stream and very damn few cutthroats are left. The Quirk Creek approach works as far as I'm concerned. And no I ain't poachin'.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...c=15376&hl=

No jokes. See the MIA signature below? Thats how many brook trout I killed one stream in 5 trips this summer and early fall, last time in I was specifically targeting spawning brook trout for maximum impact. Why? Brook trout have completely expatriated the bull trout from this particular stream and very damn few cutthroats are left. The Quirk Creek approach works as far as I'm concerned. And no I ain't poachin'.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...c=15376&hl=

As long as you are following the rules. And yes I am aware of the Quirk Creek Project and there will be others.

Gravlax is super simple the way we do it. The tricky part is the amount of salt and there's no real exact recipe unfortunately as fish will absorb varying amounts of salt and sugar depending on thickness, type of fish and type of salt used. Typically we use wet normandy, coarse, kosher or the more pricy maldon sea salts, never use iodized salt (for anything for that matter!).

The rough measurement is for every pound of fish fillet use:

1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) salt, we like it more saltier so we add another teaspoon after the first curing day usually but you need to taste the fish first

1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) sugar

2 teaspoons cracked black, white or red pepper, they all give a unique taste so try both to see which you prefer, whitefish is better for some reason with red peppercorns

Handfuls of chopped fresh dill (stems and all), enough to cover generously the fillet the more the more intense the flavor

Mix spices, cover fillet then stack dill on top. We usually use two equal sized fillets and make a sandwich with all the bits in between. Wrap in plastic wrap tightly. The salt will draw moisture out of the fish so make sure the fillet is in some kind of flat container. Typically you flip the fish over after the first day to redistribute the juices. After two days, you can take the dill off and rince the fillet, pat dry and slice thin. It is fine to leave it for 3-4 days if the fillet is especially thick or if you really want a more intense flavour.

Works for pretty much any type of fish except for very oily fish like mackeral, sardines or anchovies.

If you are really concerned with parasites, you can freeze it down to -23C and that will kill them (either before or after curing). Usually only commerically frozen or sashmi graded fish will have undergone this process. I have never bothered with this as I stay away from any dodgy looking fish or use my own fish that I catch. Or wait for a regular winter day in Calgary and stick the fish outside :lol: