Fly Fusion Forums

Question For Rod Builders

monger

I have a 9ft, 6wt FLO Fly Logic rod that got a good work out at Bullshead this weekend. I like the medium action blank, but the cork handle started to split from the top along both the upper and lower surfaces this weekend. The split on the bottom surface has reached the third cork ring. I believe the top third of the handle has now been comprimised. I guess the blank was putting too much strain on the cork when dragging fish through the weeds. My question is, how does one repair such a problem? The rod has a warranty, but I think it is $100US plus shipping to get the company to fix it. I'm not willing to spend this much on this rod. Any suggestions?

I have a 9ft, 6wt FLO Fly Logic rod that got a good work out at Bullshead this weekend. I like the medium action blank, but the cork handle started to split from the top along both the upper and lower surfaces this weekend. The split on the bottom surface has reached the third cork ring. I believe the top third of the handle has now been comprimised. I guess the blank was putting too much strain on the cork when dragging fish through the weeds. My question is, how does one repair such a problem? The rod has a warranty, but I think it is $100US plus shipping to get the company to fix it. I'm not willing to spend this much on this rod. Any suggestions?

It definitely is a rebuild on the handle. Unconformity it usually means a full strip down of the cork handle including a re wrap of the guide. A good sized job. You might try to do it yourself if you're handy with tools. pm me if you need more info.

PM me if you want it done, its a good opportunity to do something custom to the grip, feather inlay, inscription, ect. SilverDoctor is correct though it would involve stripping down that section and rebuilding.

IMG_1350.jpg

2003_0101Image0005.jpg

I've got a pretty full build schedule for the next month or so but would have time in late Oct.

Cheers

Colin

I am not looking for anything fancy as this is not my primary rod. Just some basic high quality cork. I have always been the opposite of the guy with pretty/Sage/Orvis stuff. Too me it is just a tool, not a piece of art. Maybe when I mature more I can think about having some beautiful things like the ones you build. What would you charge to replace the cork on a rod?

I am not looking for anything fancy as this is not my primary rod. Just some basic high quality cork. I have always been the opposite of the guy with pretty/Sage/Orvis stuff. Too me it is just a tool, not a piece of art. Maybe when I mature more I can think about having some beautiful things like the ones you build. What would you charge to replace the cork on a rod?

Then pull off the cork that is fracturing carefully, slap a bunch of two part epoxy in and you're in business again.

As I was reading this thread, I also thought two part epoxy (Doc beat me to it).

I don't think it has to be flexible. The cork is glued to the blank with epoxy. It won't fracture. You are going to end up with a stiff spot that might feel weird in your hands, but you said you don't care about that.

My only suggestion would be to not use 5min epoxy. Not enough working time. Use the 1hr type and wrap the fix in 1in strips of wax paper spiraled around it followed by cling wrap to hold it all together. If you are lucky, you won't have too much overflow over the outside of the cork handle. Epoxy is really hard to sand off without sanding the cork below it off.

Then again, you don't have to sand it at all and just live with what you end up with. I'm sure you will be able to do a quick fix that would work.

ps. while still wet, epoxy cleans up with rubbing alcohol. Use that to clean up any oozing before you secure it.

disclainer: I've never tried this. The wax paper may stick to the epoxy. Try it at your own risk.

As I was reading this thread, I also thought two part epoxy (Doc beat me to it).

I don't think it has to be flexible. The cork is glued to the blank with epoxy. It won't fracture. You are going to end up with a stiff spot that might feel weird in your hands, but you said you don't care about that.

My only suggestion would be to not use 5min epoxy. Not enough working time. Use the 1hr type and wrap the fix in 1in strips of wax paper spiraled around it followed by cling wrap to hold it all together. If you are lucky, you won't have too much overflow over the outside of the cork handle. Epoxy is really hard to sand off without sanding the cork below it off.

Then again, you don't have to sand it at all and just live with what you end up with. I'm sure you will be able to do a quick fix that would work.

ps. while still wet, epoxy cleans up with rubbing alcohol. Use that to clean up any oozing before you secure it.

disclainer: I've never tried this. The wax paper may stick to the epoxy. Try it at your own risk.

The easiest adn safest is the use throw away rubber gloves. be sure to work in a well ventilated area.