Fly Fusion Forums

Sturgeon

Hi All...The last few days, a couple buddy's and I have been goin for Sturgeon in the deep holes of the SouthSask. River Around Med Hat.... We have never tried for Sturgeon before, although we have caught some very small sturgeon the last few outings, but cant seem to intrigue the big guys..... So far we have used minnows, smelts, big herring whole, big herring heads, big hearing tails, rotten chicken, beef liver and chicken liver... We caught all the small sturgeon on minnows, however, we also catch lotsa unwanted Goldeye and Walleye on the minnows, and we are not looking for them species.. (My one buddy did get a 10lb Walleye).... Thats why I in particular, have bin using large bait so the little guys cant get it in their mouth, I can fell them peckin away, But Im waitin for the BIG PULL... Im thinkin since then show River Monsters has bin out, Its bin gettin me intrigued to fish this river more often :D .... I know there are some absolute Huge Sturgeon right in and around the Hat, I just hope I get to feel that Tug Drug...... Later on in the summers, when the water clears and lowers, we drift dry's for the Goldeye, thats a hoot... Any of ya's fish for Sturgeon?, or have any Ideas, suggestions or good storys??....

Thanx...Jeff..

Done it a bit out of a boat. Went with some guys in the know and all they ever used was minnows. Never changed up. If I remember right, I think he said about 80% of the sturgeon in the river are under 20lbs. We did get 2 over 20...with me landing one at 56 lbs...largest in his boat that year.

They're a riot. They jump and and they don't give up.

Try some big night crawlers. You will always get into unwanted species while waiting for sturgeon. What kind of rigs are you using for them? I have caught them on minnows and crawlers.

Good luck out there.

Nate

Hi All...The last few days, a couple buddy's and I have been goin for Sturgeon in the deep holes of the SouthSask. River Around Med Hat.... We have never tried for Sturgeon before, although we have caught some very small sturgeon the last few outings, but cant seem to intrigue the big guys..... So far we have used minnows, smelts, big herring whole, big herring heads, big hearing tails, rotten chicken, beef liver and chicken liver... We caught all the small sturgeon on minnows, however, we also catch lotsa unwanted Goldeye and Walleye on the minnows, and we are not looking for them species.. (My one buddy did get a 10lb Walleye).... Thats why I in particular, have bin using large bait so the little guys cant get it in their mouth, I can fell them peckin away, But Im waitin for the BIG PULL... Im thinkin since then show River Monsters has bin out, Its bin gettin me intrigued to fish this river more often :D .... I know there are some absolute Huge Sturgeon right in and around the Hat, I just hope I get to feel that Tug Drug...... Later on in the summers, when the water clears and lowers, we drift dry's for the Goldeye, thats a hoot... Any of ya's fish for Sturgeon?, or have any Ideas, suggestions or good storys??....

Thanx...Jeff..

Hey Jeff

I'm from The Hat and I sturgeon fish whenever I get a chance if I'm down there. My recommendations would be go to the outdoorsman and pick up a couple jack or pickerel rigs 6oz weights and jumbo dew worms. I usually cut the worms in half or thirds for two reasons: 1. I'm cheap 2. Suckers,Walleye, Goldeye and Burbot are less likely to steal them off your hook. Sturgeon as far as I know don't really care because they are more attracted to the scent of the worm I think. The next step is you need to find a BIG deep back eddy and toss your bait out as far as you can or wherever you think its deepest. I've caught hundreds of them this way and sometimes 30 or more in a day between me and a friend or two. I only use worms now after experimenting with spam, roe, escargot, catfish pellets, minnows and leeches. None of these worked except salted minnows and leeches. I've caught lots on leeches, not so many on salted minnows and none of the sturgeon I caught with these were very big. I have only ever caught BIG sturgeon with worms. Hopefully this helps and gets you into some fish. Watch out for rattlers

I'll second the comments from FlyfishingEMT. I haven't actually caught one myself, but I have a few friends involved with the sturgeon tagging program on the NSR; they all use jumbo dew worms predominantly, and tell me that most of the really successful guys do the same.

My advice is find a confluence, small creek, maybe the forks, and fish deep. I caught one by accident years ago because ny spinning reel fouled up and my red devil spoon laid on the bottom as I untangled my line. I fully expected to be snagged and when I found resistance as I reeled in, I pulled hard and the line peeled off the reel. I managed to land a four foot sturgeon. This was on the N Sask where Pine Ck entered the river. Haven't caught one since, but haven't tried.

Hey guys,

Some of you may know that the Alberta and Federal gov'ts are looking at increased protection for sturgeon (and habitat).

Let me be clear... You will still be able to fish for sturgeon!

To help, especially with the angling side (angling is fine for sturgeon as long as they are caught, handled, and released properly), it would be great to get info from folks catching them.

If you don't mind, it would be great to get lengths, weight (if you take them) and locations of sturgeon caught. You don't have to send it to me if you're not comfortable with it, but if you send me a PM, I can flip you the contact info of the folks in charge of the sturgeon side of things.

If you get a sturgeon with a tag, please, please get the number and report it!!!

The good thing for you guys is that you'll get to talk to the sturgeon researchers who have caught hundreds of sturgeon already this year and might be able to provide pointers. Plus you'll be helping to protect Canada's oldest fish so that future generations will have a chance to fish for it too!

Hey guys, thanx a bunch for the replys and info.... Finally got a chance to see this thread since I posted it... Bin real busy and Havin some internet issues at the moment, so Im doin this from my phone....

We did ok this weekend... Lost a big one we figure was 30lbs. Managed a few more real small Sturgey's and got a couple to hand that weighed 10lbs.... Some of yas mentioned above to use worms, and we decided before headin out this weekend to give them a try as we had not yet tried worms... Well worms is all but one little Sturgeon took... Lotsa fun we had a blast... Once again, thanx for the info and p.m's.. Oh and i got some pics Ill post asap..

P.s... Dont like posting from phone...lol.. Pain in the arse..

Cheers...Jeff..

How big to sturgeon get in Alberta?

I've heard although I have nothing to back this up the biggest one caught in Alberta was 108lb's. I know a guy who based on the length and girth measurements he took figures he caught one that was 98lb's in the SSR.

Try some big night crawlers. You will always get into unwanted species while waiting for sturgeon. What kind of rigs are you using for them? I have caught them on minnows and crawlers.

Good luck out there.

Nate

We are using big thick pickerel rigs, along with super strong hooks and Braided line.... The worms seem to be the ticket... Ill post some pics in the photo section....

Cheers...Jeff..

Christ I can't remember his name but there's a feed salesman who lives in the Hat, owns a river jet and loves to fish for sturgeon. He told me he helped SRD tag a bunch in Rattlesnake