Fly Fusion Forums

Hackle

murray

When I looked earlier today it was $550 - now it's $680. wow

And how can something be classified as "new" when it came off a dead bird?

For the less learned like me, what did something like this go for before the "hair hackle" thing?

Depending on the grade $40 - $110. Have a few I will sell in the fall, betting they will go even higher.

When I looked earlier today it was $550 - now it's $680. wow

And how can something be classified as "new" when it came off a dead bird?

For the less learned like me, what did something like this go for before the "hair hackle" thing?

It really is only a matter of time before this affects the prices of all hackles and flies in general. Just came across this article on another forum but gives a good read on the whole situation. Lets all hope this fad passes soon.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

god i cant wait for the A.D.D of fashion to kick onto the next craz. Im starting to notice a dent in my hackel collection, i hope this *hit is done be christmas

Doubt very much if it fades by Christmas, expect an increase as we've just seen the top of the bubble. Have friends in the fashion business and the condenses is it will stay as an addition to hair styling (by the way a designer friend of mine is starting to use long strands of Krystal Flash™ or Flash-a-bou™ along with feathers). Meanwhile we are most likely looking at a few years before growers catch up as they will be hesitant to do a lot of expanding of their flocks in case the fad suddenly fades and they are left with too much product. We are talking about premium genetic long hackles here. Certainly easier to tie with but the normal capes and saddles aren't affected as they are too short for fashion and still work well for tying, you just have to sort more. The long generics are much faster to tie with so the commercial fly tying houses will be most affected by the price increase. Now something no one has mentioned a lot is that the Hackle growers had already faced a feed increase of 60% that before the craze that had a hard time passing on to retail ships. That of course has now changed. As everything travels downhill we are most likely to see an increase in the cost of flies which in many cases from a labor point of view, are under priced at it is. The other point is not all flies are tied with hackle.

god i cant wait for the A.D.D of fashion to kick onto the next craz. Im starting to notice a dent in my hackel collection, i hope this *hit is done be christmas

I seem to remember awhile back City Council voted on weather or not to alllow residents to raise chickens in the city. Sounds like a good way to suplement the retirement income. Food plus feathers.

Murray

I seem to remember awhile back City Council voted on weather or not to alllow residents to raise chickens in the city. Sounds like a good way to suplement the retirement income. Food plus feathers.

Murray

Oh, I only wish. :) The gentleman from Howard's Hackle said in the paper it 'only' took him 25-30 years to get the breeding done right to get the desired quality for hackle. Though, I'm sure you could be collecting eggs sooner than that... ;)

Smitty

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard of Whiting #1 griz saddles going for up to $1500.

I would bet a saddle this is a fad. It is too unique/noticable to be a permanent thing. I am also starting to think that the fad has peaked. I have seen some in Calgary hair. As far as fashion goes, Calgary is delayed. It will hit the small urban areas next, and be passe by then.

The demand seems to be driven mainly by southern California. Once it passess there, things will settle down.

I'm selling mine now and keeping a year or two worth to tide me over until prices drop again. There is always CDC and snoeshoe!

I was blown away the other day when my buddy's daughter comes walkin in, and she had hackle in her hair, the very first thing I thought was "How the heck did she get into my fly tyin material?".... About that moment her mom says " You like??..Its a new fashion from the hair dresser" .... Im like, good god!!... It was a weird moment to say the least... I then explained to her that I use that stuff for flies.... Hope my oldest daughter dont get into the new fad, cuzz I dont have much hackle. :P .. But I think my buddy does.. :D

Spent tonight tying stimulators, which started me worrying about how much hackle I use. I go though a ton of flies it seems since I end up supplying many of my friends that I take down the river. Might have to become less generous switching to foam and SJWs only for friends.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

is the Ebay market getting a bit full? it seems as though the price is slightly dropping and the bidding is not as hot.

When I was reading the description I thought for sure this was a add for hair additions then came this"1500 flies for the master fly tier" I guess i should start referring to my flies as supple, and beautiful. My flies are tied in a spunky "insect green"

Trout beware you cant resist this vibrant modern, not olive drag hackle. See you soon....