Fly Fusion Forums

50 Inch Pike

fishpro

Caught this guy on a big streamer last Wednesday up at Frontier Fishing Lodge on Great Slave Lake. Had a crazy day with over 50 fish landed and probably 20 fish that were 3 feet or bigger!

GreatSlaveLake2011058.jpg

Perhaps this may explain why pike are sometimes called gators...

GreatSlaveLake2011065.jpg

OINK!

First rate man! Well done.

Might as well sell all of your fishing stuff now. You've hung the fish of a lifetime. There is nothing else to do for you to do except sell out and join a convent. ;)

Clive

Good show Dustin...sounds like fun. Did you get to see the hits?

Yeah I did, the fish were sitting quite shallow and I was able to pick my targets at time. I would often see a fish cruising and all I had to do was place my fly 6-8 ahead of the fish, then as soon as it moved the fish was after it. I've never had pike fishing like it.

This fish was particularly exciting to hook though. We had come up to a sandy underwater point and at first glance I saw two fish about 4-5 lbs sitting on the edge. As I was casting to them I saw a larger fish, probably 10-12 lbs, so I redirected my cast and landed it in front of him, further up on the point. I was letting the fly sink and as I was about to start stripping the guide yelled "there's a bigger fish, cast farther and to the right!" So I pulled as hard as I could to get my fly out of the water before the other fish could charge it, made one false cast, and then landed my fly, only to have my guide say "perfect". As I started to strip in I saw this large figure move towards my fly and strike. Fish on!