Fly Fusion Forums

Losing Flies Like Crazy

Soon going to fork over my paycheck to fishtales in flies alone... Been losing stones like crazy, great quality ties but at 3 bucks a pop this is adding up in a bloody hurry.

Tie into bottom grass, usually can pull out but with a log? My knots are strong, takes alot to break the tippett off.

Any tips on keeping more flies?

Broke my TFO rod tip last night too, off to springbrook in the morning...

It is definitley the water conditions. I am losing flies, too. Bumping stones along the bottom, you are bound to lose some on the rocks and logs. I don't like the fact that it takes me about 1/2 an hour to tie a realistic looking stone fly, and about 5 seconds to lose it. Try taking a long stick with a fork at the end, and slide it down the line to where the fly is snagged on the obstruction. It did not work for me the other day, but it often does.

Yeah, sucks that i broke the rod but ill be back online by tomorrow evening. Nearly bought a new one tonite but im going to start buying gear for camping this week.

Been using 10 pound test tippett, takes more to break it off then 10 pounds. Wish someone would come up with a hook system, sort of like weedless - but for flies

It is definitley the water conditions. I am losing flies, too. Bumping stones along the bottom, you are bound to lose some on the rocks and logs. I don't like the fact that it takes me about 1/2 an hour to tie a realistic looking stone fly, and about 5 seconds to lose it. Try taking a long stick with a fork at the end, and slide it down the line to where the fly is snagged on the obstruction. It did not work for me the other day, but it often does.

Nymphing will soon be ending for me anyhow, time for dries and subsurface!!! Can't wait to start doing some real casting again :o)

Use 10lb test and keep your stone as the top fly with less expensive flies at the bottom.

bingo.

that wire sjw costs you 25 cents if you tie it yourself (if that) so stick it on the bottom. and use 10lb to the stone and 8lb to the worm and usually the bottom one snaps off first and you don't lose both on a snag.

Use 10lb test and keep your stone as the top fly with less expensive flies at the bottom.

Generally losing the bottom fly - tried what you suggested, now i'm losing both. Just some of those FML moments lol...

Oh well, have to expect some collateral damage when fishing - i've only lost one to a tree this year.

Guest Jeremie

Improved clinch knot is probably what i would assume your tying. How old is your tippet material? I've had tippet material that lasts maybe 1 year. Dont get much else out of it. Also different brands of line have better knot strength. For nymphs i try to tie duncan loop knots. The fly has room to move naturally and i find the knot is very strong.

I guess i'm asking how to stay out of logs, but it's not really possible...

All my tippet is new, i'm using improved clinch knots, always wet the line before I tie it down. I'm using 10 pound test and knots are good, when i'm really snagged into something heavy, it takes alot of force to break everything. Sometimes the bottom fly goes, sometimes it'll break at the clinch of the top fly, and i've had my surgeons knot snap.

I'm soon going to try some of the braided line from my spincast, wonder how that would cast? The hooks would break before the line would.

Guest Jeremie
I guess i'm asking how to stay out of logs, but it's not really possible...

All my tippet is new, i'm using improved clinch knots, always wet the line before I tie it down. I'm using 10 pound test and knots are good, when i'm really snagged into something heavy, it takes alot of force to break everything. Sometimes the bottom fly goes, sometimes it'll break at the clinch of the top fly, and i've had my surgeons knot snap.

I'm soon going to try some of the braided line from my spincast, wonder how that would cast? The hooks would break before the line would.

I wouldnt recommend it, i bet your fly line would break before it broke the hook. Not to mention braided line wouldnt be a very stealthy approach. You could use it as a leader i guess and then add some tippet. I rarely use anything heavier then 8lb to my first nymph, then 6 to my second. 10 is pretty heavy. I use 10 to throw streamers, and use 10 for chum salmon. I use 12-15 for chinook.

Thats just me, i break a lot of hooks off too, just less effort to actually get the line to break.

" Its a rhetorical question Farley" !! Then again you could take all the weight off and cast with that ....thats what I did for like 12 years on the Bow , because I was afraid to do the same....ticked me off !! tying and retying more than actually fishing ! Screw that I thought ! Yet .....only caught the odd fish !! Dries were fine ,streamers were great , but I missed out on all the fun , and my season's were about a quarter what they are now !!

Keep the weight on Rob , 2x your rig minimum ..... Pull it before you get snagged in the same spot again (remember) : Doing the same thing ,expecting a different result is a definition of insanity !(look at me), suck it up prin'......Rob and love it .Your doing everything right , keep it up!! there is no "golden " knot , all you can do is go heavier on your line..( you already know this though) and even that doesnt always work...I had 30lb to 17lb (tippet) on the coast and a Stellar Sea Lion Snapped my heavy rod in 2 places last December !! As a member of the " Sunshine Coast Salmon Enhancement Society" ( Wilson Creek Fish Hatchery)( and waiting for winter run steelhead with 2 months to go) I was out crabbing and catching sole and waiting for the "sharks"( up to 80lb spiny dogfish ) when the old boy connected ( didnt even see him come in, was dark) just as I was done for the day..... Glad i wasn't in a boat I tell ya !! He was mad as H E double hockey stick!!! You ever get that " Im not at the top of the chain " hair standing up on the back of the neck feeling , you get around bears ...yep same shizzat ! this guy had a girth on him almost as wide as queen size bed , and was as long as a station wagon !! anyhow , thats another thread , was fun reliving it ......on land haha!!

I'm not sure what flies are available at Fishtales (or if you tie your own), but using one tied upside down can help. I usually tie a few like this for situations when I keep hooking the bottom.

DSC_0005-2-1.jpg

I was wondering if you had got a new rod today or not Robert lol. Probably i am a little bit responsible for that in all te excitement....Tried out the new nymphing techniques today, tied into a really nice rainbow. Also got flashed by a drunk chick in a tube. Awesome day!!!!!!

Soon going to fork over my paycheck to fishtales in flies alone... Been losing stones like crazy, great quality ties but at 3 bucks a pop this is adding up in a bloody hurry.

Tie into bottom grass, usually can pull out but with a log? My knots are strong, takes alot to break the tippett off.

Any tips on keeping more flies?

Broke my TFO rod tip last night too, off to springbrook in the morning...

MAXIMA 8 or 10 lb

You are gonna lose flies.. Just prepare yourself to lose them, tie simple patterns that you dont care about losing. The fish don't really care and you will catch way more fish if you are willing to throw into the spots where they live..

• 2 weeks later...